Clear all

Excess Gear

24 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Keep the extra guitar. Like somebody said, when friends come over you'll have a loaner to hand them.

Also, you can keep the extra guitar in a different tuning. It's handy to be able to leave a guitar in an oddball tuning to work on a song and keep your main instrument tuned standard so you're not retuning all the time.

Actually, you need at minimum five guitars. You need your main guitar which you keep in standard tuning, a Strat tuned down a half step for working on Hendrix or SRV songs or just for when your hands are tired and need a break, a third electric to keep in some other oddball tuning, a good acoustic, and a lousy acoustic you can sweat all over for playing in the back yard in the summer.

This is how I'm explaining this all to my wife, BTW....

You forgot the really pretty one that you hang on the wall and nobody is allowed to touch...not even you.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

As a primarily acoustic player I don't have to much equiptment, I have to many guitars. Problem is each one has its own personality, and place in my heart. Currently I think I have 7 guitars 1 bass 2 ukes 2 keyboards. My wifes solution is to make me sell a guitar (or give it away) before I can get another.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Use that Strat for a different tuning!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

LOL, I have so much gear my apartment is full of it, have lots stored over at my friend's basement where we practice. :D

I don't know why, but I am never able to sell anything off, even if I don't use it. I have "loaned" lots of gear to others that never seems to make it's way back to me. You always come back to everything later, it all has a use.

If that Randall has a "line out" or "pre-amp out" run a cable from that into a "Y" cable and then into your other two amps. Stack all the amps and you will have a nice stack. You will get the Randall distortion from every amp. :twisted:

Tune one guitar down, keep the other in standard tuning. Now you can play anything on the spot.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

I get it - this is an April Fools day joke, right?

Everyone knows there is no such thing as Santa, the Easter Bunny, Hanakuh Harry, or EXCESS GEAR! It's a myth!

You might have too little space, but that's another problem!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

"Should I stay or should I go!!''

I'm always going back and forth between selling (and making way for new) and keeping everything. I don't have the answer but so far I haven't ever sold a thing. I have four acoustics, two electrics and a bass, three amps, three pedals and a mulfi-effects pedal which I hate but still keep and I'm shopping for a keyboard, saw a great little guitar the other day, can't get my mind off a new amp and think some other acoustic instruments like a dulcimer would be pretty cool....

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I have:

two electrics (a strat and a tele copy)
A Classical
A 12 string
A really cheap acoustic
1 Amp
1 Digitech Multi-FX unit
1 Dunlop Crybaby
1 Danelectro PB and J Delay

and now for the non-guitar related stuff

1 Violin
1 Harmonica
1 Keyboard
1 Mandolin

The saddest thing is I can always think of more things I could buy: A better acoustic, maybe a Les Paul type guitar or Hollowbody, A Resonator, A better keyboard, Bass Guitar, Drum set, Sitar.... and those are only instruments... in terms of gear... several expensive amplifiers and dozens of effects pedals.

The good thing is that the only things I haven't used lately are the things I don't have time to practice and the Danelectro pedal and the cheap acoustic. I might get rid of the acoustic and buy a better one, it's not playable even for even a beginner: it's has pretty much no intonation (fretted notes can be off by almost a half step) and the strings are ridiculously hard to fret. As for the danelectro pedal, who knows, it doesn't take up that much space so maybe i'll find some sort of use for it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Actually, you need at minimum five guitars. You need your main guitar which you keep in standard tuning, a Strat tuned down a half step for working on Hendrix or SRV songs or just for when your hands are tired and need a break, a third electric to keep in some other oddball tuning, a good acoustic, and a lousy acoustic you can sweat all over for playing in the back yard in the summer.

Think I'm covered then. I have 3 electrics and one acoustic. My Jaguar is in standard, the Les Paul is in Drop C and I have the two acoustic. Not worried about being a half step down as I don't play Hendrix or SRV. Although Nirvana plays a lot of tunes a half step down.

I kinda like the smashing thing, just put the pedal on my first amp then chop it like an axe with the Strat. Can't do the stack thing though Wes. Sold the crate amp and absolutely hate the first amp I got.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I've got a ton of stuff I never get around to touching, in fact, I'm staring at my Dean acoustic Twelve that I don't think I've picked up in at least a year. Sits right next to my good Washburn that gets picked up every five minutes!

I'm like Wes, I just can't seem to let anything go! I keep thinking about getting rid of the Dean and buying or trading for some thing else but I never seem to get around to it.

I like to think that I'm impressing my friends with all my gear, but that only lasts until they hear me play! :cry:

I lost all of my stuff a couple of times in my life and it's getting really hard to lose anything anymore. Maybe I'm paranoid! :shock:

But, once in a blue moon, I'll reacquant myself with my orphans and all's right in my world again! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2