Notifications
Clear all

Elixir strings - the G strings break

42 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yup.....$40 Aus....That $36.50 american.....per set of acoustic strings....they SHOULDNT be faulty :S

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I broke up a set and replaced the G and D string last week and the G string broke again last night. I Like Exlirir too but at $13 a pop I can't afford this. This time it broke by the bridge. I'm going to replace them with D'Addario and see what happens.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I just posted a suggestion over here that might help: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37081&p=348143#p348143

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I broke up a set and replaced the G and D string last week and the G string broke again last night. I Like Exlirir too but at $13 a pop I can't afford this. This time it broke by the bridge. I'm going to replace them with D'Addario and see what happens.

Bob Jessie
Like I said earlier, I kept on breaking D strings & after this happening with a half dozen sets, I changed to D'Addarrio EXP's.

I think they sound better & they last so long, I have to throw them out, like now....I need to change.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just an update! I called that 800 number (1-800-367-5533) for Elixir strings are they were going to send me 4 new sets of strings but I said no just send the "G" strings.

They did ask if I kept the broken strings and told them "no I threw them away". When they send you the replacements they have a (paid) envelope (to send back to them) for the broken strings so the techs can look at it.

So, I replaced all the strings again with my last pack of D'Addario and, Oh Boy, the "G" string was missing! (I'm pretty sure I gave it someone before they were about to play at a local "Open Mike night").

I have SO MANY packs of strings that are broken up it's not funny! All of them had the "G" string missing. What a mess!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

How hard are you playn' them things?

I've been playing for four years and have only broken 1 string.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The first and second broken G-strings might be chance. Third one means it's time for a diet.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

how come they cost $13 there....when theyre $40 here....and $40 oz is $36.50 in american dollars...?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Taxes? Shipping costs? Ripoff?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Taxes? Shipping costs? Ripoff?
I'm thinking the answer is behind door #3.

I just ran an estimate thru the Canadian post office website (and out postal rates are much worse then the US post office) and to air mail a 250 Gram package (10x15x5Cm) to Australia from Canada is $8.05 Canadian (~8.60 AUS)
I'd guess you could get a few sets of strings into that package.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

how come they cost $13 there....when theyre $40 here....and $40 oz is $36.50 in american dollars...?

That's why I bought them. If I go to local Music Store they charge $25. I ordered them off Musiciansfriend.com for $12.99 a set and ordered $100 worth of stuff (mostly strings) to aviod shipping.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

It's almost always the G string that goes on my guitar first as well. I also have multiple packs of strings missing just that one.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@sheik-yerbouti)

You are not alone.

I play in an acoustic pub band where both myself and my fellow guitarist play Elixirs (usually nanoweb custom lite). We each use 2 guitars on stage and both have consistent breakage issues with the G strings on all 4 guitars! Some nights we'll go through 2 string changes each! I've heard all of the "aggressive playing", "poor saddle setup" explanations, but you can't tell me that 2 guitarist using light picks (tortex orange .60mm) on properly set up guitars can break so many Gs.

The funny thing is, months ago, I popped my last G at a show and had no elixirs left. I used an old Dean Markley that I had taken off another guitar eons ago, and put it on just to get me through the night. The same damn string is still on. Granted, it's crusty, tarnished and corroded, but it hasn't broken yet.

It's hard to justify the "They sound great forever" argument when you still end up having to change them because of breakage.

I've called Elixir and complained about the issue. Although they claim that it's a isolated case, they were nice enough to send me some free strings. Still, I have to wonder if it's worth the hassle of having to stop mid-song and change guitars twice a night.

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

do you think its cause that string takes the brunt of a hard strum? the times mines broken it was while getting....over excited while strumming...

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

do you think its cause that string takes the brunt of a hard strum? the times mines broken it was while getting....over excited while strumming...

Could be? But, when I had the D'Addario's on they didn't break. The only songs I really play hard are “And She was” by the Talking Heads (great Song) and “Josephine” by Ron Wood (Rolling Stones) another GS, except I can't figure out the instrumental.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3