Cleaning your guitar

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What are the best ways of cleaning:

The body of your guitar - I have noticed from touching my PRS SE that a lot of fingerprints are now visible on the body

The Strings - I normally just wipe down with a dry cloth, but I have seen some people use liquid

The Neck - Because if you don't clean it, it can get really nasty.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

The body: A soft cloth

Strings: Fast Fret (when I remember :lol: )

Fretboard: Lemon oil when I change the strings

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I never wipe my strings. The guitar, I normaly wipe down, and hit it with some spray detailer cleaner/wax. And the frtboards I hit with Lemon oil when I restring ike Rocket Dog

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Wait...you have to clean it?? :lol:

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fdenture)

If you wanna keep it clean, you usually have to clean it...

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Oh, yeah...it's Spring in the lands Up Over. Okay...cleaning mode, it is!

Strings...isopropyl alcohol on a linen cloth...BUT!!!!...keep a piece of cardboard (etc) over the fretboard so you don't get that wet. (Geez...if yer crash-hot on cleaning everything...just change the freakin' strings!!!)

Fretboard...I use a drop of dishwashing liquid in water on a NEW soft toothbrush (this means get the brush wet, don't put the soapy water on the fretboard) and wipe it dry as I go immediately...

Body...I keep a spray can Lemon Pledge here from The States...with a nice tea towel to wipe it off as you go.

Use Q-Tips to wipe out the hard to get spots around the bridge and p'ups...but don't use them too hard because they will start to shred into fibers...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I made the mistake of cleaning my fingerboard with steel wool and oil last time i restrung the Fender acoustic! It left scratch marks in the wood between the frets! BUT it did remove some of the black which told me that it was an ebonised fingerboard! And i preferred the look of whats underneath to be honest!

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

If I'm holding a guitar cleaning it is the farthest thing from my mind, make it play good and beat the tar out of it. The nearest I get to cleaning up my guitar is backing off the volume. The stings get changed every time it leaves the case and I check all the screws and hardware. Other than that, I think clean guitars are a sign of neglect. That, and the fact I'm a big, tattooed, fuzzy guy and I would look strange holding a glistening new 10 top.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Just how often do you change your strings Ezra? I mean every time I get it out of the case? Everyday then! Well I lie, it doesn't live in its case.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

The stings get changed every time it leaves the case and I check all the screws and hardware. Other than that, I think clean guitars are a sign of neglect. That, and the fact I'm a big, tattooed, fuzzy guy and I would look strange holding a glistening new 10 top.
You change the strings every time you get it out of the case?? In my case that would barely leave enough time for them to setttle in!

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

I love the Dunlop 65 products for cleaning the body. The spray and wipe for every day and their wax is great as well. I use a product called Guitar Honey for the fretboard and Stew Mac makes a fret polisher tool that cleans your frets. a clean guitar is a happy guitar!

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

The stings get changed every time it leaves the case and I check all the screws and hardware. Other than that, I think clean guitars are a sign of neglect. That, and the fact I'm a big, tattooed, fuzzy guy and I would look strange holding a glistening new 10 top.
You change the strings every time you get it out of the case?? In my case that would barely leave enough time for them to setttle in!

Every time. Every time. I have no idea what you mean about settling in. I put them on, tune 'm up, warm up re-tune, go-go-go, cut m' off repeat. I sweat a lot, I play nickle strings, I use baby powder, and I use a stupidly lite gauge and I play the crap out of them. Strings are on my guitar for two hours tops. I feel like I've written on this a lot lately, I don't see the big deal.
My drummer smokes a pack of butts, some other stuff, and drinks a six'r every session. Probably cost him $25 bucks.
I don't do any of those things in the studio, change my strings at every break and I spend $10, tops.
Maybe it ain't for everybody, but like I said I sweat, I use baby powder to keep my hands and picks from slipping around too much. My strings get dirty black crud on them super quick. And Nickles sound better, period, but they go off fast too.
All told my guitar probably gets 5-7 sets a week when I'm recording and gigging on the weekends. 15-20 dollars maybe. That's not too extravagant when you think about it.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarforlife)

I use lemon oil on my fret board. Try to remember to wipe down my strings every time I play. To clean the body I use Dunlop 65 guitar polish and cleaner. It gets rid of all the fingerprints and makes it shine real nice. I also have some Dunlop cream of carnauba bodygloss, but I usually don't take the time to use it.

My Blog
www.playing-the-guitar.net

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Thats crazy ! My strings get changed once maybe twice a year! But then I only get to play occasionally. Good thing cos I couldnt afford your routine Ezra

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't change mine that often but I do change them when they need it. If I were gigging it would be more frequent. I buy them in 10 packs so they are less than $4 a set. When they need it, I don't hesitate to change them. If I were gigging, each show would deserve new strings. I extend their life by washing my hands before playing and keeping the neck wiped down. New ones do sound brighter and when they get too old intonation suffers.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2