Notifications
Clear all

Check this guy out

31 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Huh, I thought that 1-2-3-4 up and down the frets was a crock, guess i've got a little something else to add to my "fun time" routine. (I've split it about half-half every day - 45 minutes on what I need to learn for my weekly lessons, 45 minutes on "fun time")

I was actually considering one of those Michael Angelo DVD's - anybody know of one, or one like it, that'd be great for an intermediate player who wants to learn to shred? (e.g. Speed Kills, Speed Lives)

Also, in that same vein, are there any good DVD's out for intermediate players looking to learn some nice Clapton or SRV-style electric blues?

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Man that guys my hero. I'am going to grow hair just like him. :twisted:

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Heh, i'm just growing my hair period, though in a month or two it's gonna look like this guy's :

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I'm at 11 and a half inches myself....

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

Haha ..Don't waste your money on those dvd's...unless you just want to watch him. he's awesome at shredding, but if you want to learn his stuff, you'll have to be able to hit his speeds BEFORE you get the video.
Cause from what I've seen, he plays it at regular speed a few times in a row, then tells you to play it...here's what I did when I watched it.
First, I was sitting there, watching it, guitar in lap, eyes wide open.
then after he played it, he told me to try.
I laid the guitar flat on my lap, put up both my milder fingers. then turned the video off and went back to my practice routines.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Was that guy strumming with his hair, maybe I should slow the video down. :P

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Also, in that same vein, are there any good DVD's out for intermediate players looking to learn some nice Clapton or SRV-style electric blues?

Check out Greg Koch's series on SRV licks. Pretty decent stuff.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Okay, so Michael Angelo = showoffjackass, Greg Koch's SRV series = worth checking out.

Worrrrrd.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

The problem with players like this is that there is no emotion in their playing. With SRV, every note is dripping with soul, with those hyperspeed shreaders, all it is repeated arpeggios and the like over and over. There is nothing unique about it. Any one, with enough practice, can do that. Notice how there are many players who can do it, and they all sound the same?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Amen to that.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I'll bet he's bald nowadays.

:lol:
That got me rolling on the floor Nice one!!!!!!!!

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't want to be able to play like that. But I agree, the problem with most "shredders" is that their music is lifeless. Even when they are doing super fast runs, and huge dives, feedback, etc.... It always sounds memorized and contrived.

Here is what Neil Young said in an interview:

JO: What are your views on people going to college to learn guitar?

NY: Paints a pretty doomed picture of the future, doesn't it?[Laughs.] First of all, it doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters. If you have the ability to express yourself and you feel good when you do it, then that's why you do it. The technical side of it is a completely boring drag, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I can't play fast. I don't even know the scales. A lot of the notes that I go for are notes that I know aren't there. They're just not there, so you can hit any note. I'm just on another level as far as all that goes. I appreciate these guys who play great. I'm impressed by these metal bands with their scale guys. Like I go, "Gee, that's really something." I mean, Satriani and Eddie Van Halen are genious guitar players. They're unbelievable musicians of the highest caliber. But I can't relate to it. One note is enough.

"One note is enough" Wow. Thanks Neil 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have always been a HUGE Neil Young fan, so here's more.

WARNING! Neil sometimes uses naughty words! :D

JO: What do you look for in a solo?

NY: Elevation. You can feel it. That's all I'm looking for. You can tell I don't care about bad notes. I listen for the whole band on my solos. You can call it a solo because that's a good way to describe it, but really it's an instrumental. It's the whole band that's playing. Billy Talbot is a massive bass player who only plays two or three notes. People are still trying to figure out whether it's because he only knows two or three notes or whether those are the only notes he wants to play.[Laughs.] But when he hits a note, that note speaks for itself. It's a big XotherXuckin' note. Even the soft one is big. (edited for content)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I agree with you wes, id also be lieing if i said i wouldn't like to be able to play like that. But it takes a lot of work, much of it i consider very boring, arppeggios(sp? does any one know how to spell that?) and scales over and over with a metronome slowly speeding it up. For all that work and time, i don't think the reward is enough, sounding like every other hypershredder.

and lol, good pic sirN

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Haha ..Don't waste your money on those dvd's...unless you just want to watch him. he's awesome at shredding, but if you want to learn his stuff, you'll have to be able to hit his speeds BEFORE you get the video.
Cause from what I've seen, he plays it at regular speed a few times in a row, then tells you to play it...here's what I did when I watched it.
First, I was sitting there, watching it, guitar in lap, eyes wide open.
then after he played it, he told me to try.
I laid the guitar flat on my lap, put up both my milder fingers. then turned the video off and went back to my practice routines.

I totally disagree. Ive got the Speed Kills DVD, u dont need to be able to shred before hand at all. I learnt to shred alternate picking runs from his DVD, in the first few lessons, which obviously when I look back was actually a revelation in my playing. After he plays the things its shows you a tab and you can play along at a slow temp, the idea is he teaches you the ideas, techniques and licks and you build the pace.
Its not the sorta thing that you go thro all at once at all. Its like I'd learn something, practice over time and then dig it out again later when I feel like moving onto something more advanced. Could be a week, 3 weeks, 3 months later. His lessons have been invaluable to my playing.
They wont help you if you dont do it at the slow tempo set to start and pay particular attention to his picking motion.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3