Clear all

Buzz on B at the 10th fret

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Any have any thoughts on this.. My B string buzzes at the 10th fret unless I push extremely hard. I've tried different string guages, with no luck. Its only at the 10th fret. I can make it stop If I raise the action as high as it will go.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There are several possibilities. First, look at the string. Is it bent at the 10th fret? Sometimes you bumb a string without really realizing it, and the string gets a little V shaped dent in it.

It is possible that your neck is too concave. You may need to tighten the truss rod. When a neck is too concave it will usually cause fret buzz from about frets 5-10. I have said this before, but imagine a guitar string suspended above a bowl. Now as you press the string down over the center of the bowl, the string will eventually touch the edge of the bowl. This is what happens with a concave neck. The string touches a fret further up the neck.

Go to Mr. Gearhead and read 5 Steps to Great Guitar Setup. It will give you all the information to inspect and adjust neck relief yourself. It is not difficult.

Mr. Gearhead

There is a 3rd possibility, and it is the worst condition of the three. You may have unlevel frets. To check this you need a short straightedge that will only cover 3 frets at a time. Place it across 3 frets parallel to the string. Go up and down the neck. If the straightedge rocks over any 3 frets, then you have a fret that is too low or too high.

For an unlevel frets I would probably take it to a shop. Someone here recently needed this work, I believe it cost about $50.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote