0 Likes
24.8 K Views
(@rocker)
Noble Member

mine 2

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@platypusmaximus)

I have an agile 300 Prestige CSB. It plays absolutley incredible. The ebony fboard is so smooth that I constantly "overslide". abalone inlays look as 3 dimensional as a hologram and sparkle as if they were backlit with green, blue and purple LED's...even in the dark. In 20+ yrs. of playing, I have never owned, but have played plenty of, high-end guitars. The Agile reviews are spot-on. A little buzz on the low E, the pups are more than adequate, maybe a speck of red overspray in the binding, but overall they're beautiful.. a tank of a guitar that playes better than high-end Epi's and as good as low-end Gibbies.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I have an Epi Black Beauty (see pic) and I love it!Gigged regularly for nearly 3 years and never let me down.Great tone ,action fit and finish couldn't get any better for the money!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bobblehat,

i have the black beauty also, and gig with it, they sound great and are sweet looking

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The Epi LP Ultra looks very interesting, with a chambered body and rear contour:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Epiphone/PR/Les-Paul-Ultra.html

But the higher-end Agiles and the ESPs are probably good bets too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

slej,

i might have to to gc to play that epi, its got me curious

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

slej,

i might have to to gc to play that epi, its got me curious
Let us know how you like it. 8)

Nancy Wilson of Heart plays one, so it can't be bad.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I really like my Epi Custom

I like mine also.. The fit and finish, the strength of the P/U's, the sound, the weight, the whole package I just love it.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@jester)
Trusted Member

Sorry, coming late to this discussion, but wanted to put in another mention of Heritage. This company was created by the Gibson employees who were sacked when Gibson moved from Kalamazoo to Tennessee; they bought part of the old Gibson factory. So the guitars are made by people who have been making Gibsons for 40 years, in the same place, but mostly by hand instead of with CNC routers and such. So it's not even fair to call them knockoffs--they're pretty much originals. They've got a big range of archtops and various LP styles.

I'm visiting family near a store with a big supply of these, and spent a while today playing them and checking them out, and I've gotta say they pretty well blew me away. The quality is great, and at the Custom level, you're getting some great stuff--gold-plated appointments, nitrocellulose lacquer, Seymour Duncan buckers, real MOP inlay, great bindings, beautiful woods. The sound is great, as good or better than any LP I've heard. And for under $2,000. I've played some good Epis, but they always feel like at best they're really good knockoffs, but never better than the original. Heritage feels better than the original.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to resist going back there tomorrow to buy a Custom tobacco burst that I played today.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

When i was at MF buying my new amp last week i spotted a wine red Elitist LP Custom on the wall. it was being sold for $679 because it was missing a volume knob. :shock:

i suspect it had more issues than that but it was unmarred as far as i could see and the neck seemed true also. i suspect that it had electronic issues because they would only sell it as is and would only allow you to exchange it for something else ($679) if you wanted to return it.

I'm hoping someday to stumble across another like it. :(

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Twisted - electronics issues are easy to solve. Still, $675 for an Elistist that was potentially damaged? Why not just get a $400 Epi Standard and swap pups, electonics, and tuner $150?

Jester - I hear ya on the Heritage. Of course, given their price tag, I wouldn't lump them into this discussion.

Speaking of price... what about the ESP 1000 series? They are LP-styled guitars with premium equipment Duncans, Tonepros, etc) and look pretty cool. My only issue is the $750 for a new one... For $750 I can get a Gibson Studio...

Oh, and while not technically an LP style guiter, the Schecter C1 Artist Series - why the heck don't those sell better? Seems like they are giving them away.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518187

I've seen them for even less... American Duncan pups, abalone, tone proes, grovers... seems like a great deal if you like black.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Of course my vote goes to Agile! Here is my Agile 2000 (when I first purchased it) and to this day even with 5 guitars, it's my primary guitar! It plays fantastic, the action never had to be adjusted & played GREAT out of the box (just a string change was needed).

ReplyQuote
(@matthewwensor21)

Orville or Tokai, even Burny,

My friend has a 'Chibson' from Aliexpress that cost him £200, it even says Gibson on it, plays great haha.

Mattie, UK based session guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/teacher-database/

ReplyQuote
(@robert_s)
Eminent Member

I've heard nothing but good things about the Epiphone LP Tribute. I want to get one, but I just plunked down for a second hand Gibson Faded T.

Gibson Faded T
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
Yamaha THR10C
Katana 50.
Line 6 HD500X
SOON: PRS SE Custom 24 in Laurel Burl finish

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4