Clear all

Beginner Advanced Intermediate ?

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So by what measuring stick is this measured ?

Time? That you can play a certain song ? General Knowledge? How good your hands are ?

O_O I really don't know. Is there any way to measure how good you are? Or is it more opinion-based ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Some people can noodle around with an instrument for 10 years and not get past Mary Had A Little Lamb. Others could be playing at backyard bbqs or company picnics in a year.

For me it's my opinion. After two years I stil consider myself a beginner in skill; maybe a little more advanced than beginner in knowledge. That is, I've gotten decent with basic theory, chord structure, triads, using them to ceate bass lines, substitute some chord voicings and positions, transpose keys. I'm just not a very good player. And that all comes down to practice, which I have not been diligent enough about. So I think it's subjective and opinion.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's subjective - and genre-based.

An "advanced" folk guitarist wouldn't even have beginner chops in jazz. Different types of music call for different skills, and in different areas - sweep picking is no use to a classical guitarist, etc.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@keithkr)
Eminent Member

It's subjective - and genre-based.

An "advanced" folk guitarist wouldn't even have beginner chops in jazz. Different types of music call for different skills, and in different areas - sweep picking is no use to a classical guitarist, etc.
some good points here!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's all pretty subjective as noteboat said so it's impossible to come up with one definition of beginner, intermediate etc.

I think it's more of an internal thing in that I mean I think we all have an idea as to where we are and where we want to go.

Here's my rule of thumb to know if your past beginner stage...If you play something for someone and they say that's good...not that's good for a beginner, or that's pretty good just a straight comment that it was good without any qualifications. Of course that means nothing other than you might be able to play one song well but that's still more than most beginner's. Another rule of thumb would be can you play several complete songs with little or no mistakes (including slow chord changes) Most beginners only know bits and pieces of songs or songs played very roughly.

But in reality it doesn't really matter.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

What does it matter? Are you going to feel better about yourself to finally call yourself intermediate? Advanced? For me, at the end of the day if I can play a song.. .especially with others.. its good day. Somedays I mess up, other times its nearly flawless but its all great fun..

So, I guess you could say that I dont use the measuring stick. There are too many factors that make guitar mentally a struggle and I dont need labels like beginner, intermediate or advance to get me down.

But my two cent isnt worth two so.. take it for what its worth.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

What does it matter? Are you going to feel better about yourself to finally call yourself intermediate? Advanced?

I agree with geoo. IMO Guitar should be played for enjoyment, not achievement and status. If you happen to achieve something along the way then that is purely a bonus. And like most have said, the field is just far to expansive to measure skill levels in any way. Someone could be sickly good at improvised solo's, but when it comes to basic rhythm guitar they could struggle. Or someone could be able to whip out some hot metal lick's, but mellow acoustic stuff could be beyond them.

If you love what you play, and you play what you love and end up being happy with the way it sounds and the way you play it then thats all that matters IMHO. And there is always something new to learn. I don't believe anyone has ever mastered guitar playing in its fullness. Thats what makes it such an exciting and worthwhile journey. It never ends, but you can always look back and see, ' I can do this now, i couldnt a month ago' and feel like you've accomplished something.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am a perpetual beginner.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

For me:

1) Beginner - when you still feel uncomfortable holding the instrument

2) Intermediate - when the instrument feels comfortable in your hands

3) Advanced - when you feel comfortable with the instrument, can read music (real music, not tabs, and sight-reading isn't necessary), know at least basic music theory, and feel confident enough to play for an audience of people you do not know.

Of course, that is only my opinion.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@cheesehead54)
Trusted Member

The other night my granddaughter, who is 18 and one of her friends came over to the house. They have very nice singing voices. They are both into country music, I am not. I played songs they wanted me to. They were fairly easy country songs, stuff like travlin soldier, white liar and quite a few others. They sang for hours and when we were done they hugged me and told me how good I was and how much fun they had.
I dont know if that makes me intermediate or what, but I know now that I'm blessed.
I have listened to people that made me feel like a beginner and some that made me look pretty good. I think it is all relative.

ReplyQuote