Clear all

Bad Guitar choice???

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sorefinger007)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys
I've been playing for around 10 years on and off, more off than on really :oops:
I just gave up like some do.
But at 47 i'm back again! Cant help what you love i guess. Anyway, i just brought my first guitar in years [ i'm strictly an acoustic Guy] so i go and buy what i though was one of England's finest brands 'Tanglewood', a reasonably priced dreadnought for £180. My finger tips are now tough again after months of practice so that's not a problem, the tone is great, a mellow sound which is produced from a lovely Cedar top, the problem seems to be the action? I was lead to believe it was a lowish action! but appears to be a real finger breaker especially on the bar chords :evil: I have tried tightening the nut on the kneck but this made no difference? Would i be better of with an Electro Acoustic as these seem to have a thinner neck and a lower action?
I tried a Crafter the other day, it was also a bit cheaper than mine and seemed easier to play...I'm a bit lost at the moment and do not want to be put off again, as i'm now in my late 40's and maybe this is my last shot :?
Any thoughts/ info appreciated Guys.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Find a good tech and have him give it a good setup. I feel this is an absolute necessity for a newly bought acoustic guitar. When he's done you'll be amazed at the difference

The action is lowered by adjusting the height of the bridge, which is accomplished by sanding it at the bottom. While someone with steady hands and a flat sanding block can do this, it's very easy to "whoops, too much!" I prefer to have someone experienced, who guarantees his work, and has a supply of bridge blanks for HIS "oops" moments to do the adjustment.

Tanglewoods have a pretty good rep over here across the pond, too.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@sorefinger007)
Topic starter  

Hi Moonrider,
many thanks for your reply.Its also good to know they are a brand known in the States too, i see a lot of Guys in America talk of wonderful brands such as Martin and Taylor,i'm guessing there a home grown US brand that seem very popular,they are VERY expensive here in the UK!
Anyways, i think i will bite the bullet and take it to a professional after all, iv'e seen the Youtube vid's and Guys doing some DIY on the bridge but i don't fancy my chances :)
Many Thanks again. :D

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well first, low action isn't always better. Some like it low, some people like it a little higher. So it might not be a matter of wrong... Just not to your liking. That being said, defently ship it out for a pro to set it up. I do recommend reading up about a good setup, and watching some videos of whats involved with doing it. Even if your not doing it, the more you know about it the better able you will be to discuss your issues.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sorefinger007)
Topic starter  

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your input mate.

ReplyQuote