Clear all

B Chord

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is another question I'm just throwing out there...

When I'm praticing and I get to the "B" chord, half the time it just never seems to sound right? Even though I know the strings are ringing clear. As a matter of fact, I use both the "A" and "E" shape barre chords and it just doesn't sound like a "B" chord to me (well, half the time)? This is the only chord I have the problem with?

Of course I'll keep practicing but my question is: anyone else have this problem?

Bob Jessie

(@gdhudspeth)

Are you sure you got your fingers in the right spots? I mean, if you are hearing some discordant tones in there you might be fretting somewhere you shouldn't. Or maybe you are hitting the low E accidentally (I assume you're talking about the A-form barre with the root on the fifth). Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest except maybe an intonation problem. Good luck...

ReplyQuote
(@southpaw_pete)
Eminent Member

Can you clarify how it doesn't sound right? is it the notes that sound wrong, or the intonation, or is it just not sounding "clear"?

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Do the Bb and C on either side of the B sound correct? Is so, the B should be right also.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Do the Bb and C on either side of the B sound correct? Is so, the B should be right also.Denny

Yes - they sound right - that's the thing. And to answer an earlier question - yes , I might be hitting the low "E" string (sometimes) when I do the "A" shape at the second fret (Index on the A string pinky barring at the 4'th fret across the bottom 4 strings), which technically would be a B6 (right?).

The problem is, even if I try the "E" shape at the seventh fret (and all the strings ring true) it still doesn't sound right?
It could just be me, maybe I just need to keep working at it. It could be some of the TABS are wrong? I don't know?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Many of the tabs are wrong. It could be that.

I'd sound out each note of the chord. compare them with something else (a piano? notes plucked out on other strings?) and see what's up, and if they sound good with the song.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Are you playing B like this x24442?

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If you are playing open chords and it doesn't sound right, you may have a problem with the nut being too high and you are sending the fretted strings into a sharp condition...kinda like a mini bend while the open strings ring true to the tuning.

The true test is if you play the B in barre chord and then in open position and the open chord doesn't sound right, that could be part of the problem.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think I just need to keep working at it. I was just wondering if someone else had this problem as they progressed. I just don't have the stretch to barre with the (index and ring finger) , down the neck, so I use the pinky.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote