Clear all

$1100 to spend

30 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok folks... I just built a cool vintage relic strat that I'll probably be selling for $375 - 499 (depending on the buyer/auction) so I'll have around $500 to spend on a new guitar.

I was initially going to go for a PRS Tremonti or Singlecut (import), but a buddy of mine said I should think about selling my Gibson SG and combine the money to go for a Les Paul. Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

I have a few decent guitars now, so if I sold the SG ($600-700, it is mint, customized and has a hardcase) I'd have about $1100 to spend on a new axe...

Just want to get some viewpoints...

Would you keep the SG and buy another import guitar for $300-450? Would you sell both and get something more in the $1100 range?

If I had $1100 to spend I was thinking of the following (all would be pre-owned, unless noted):

-Gibson Les Paul Classic
-PRS CE
-Heritage LP style
-Carvin California carved CT-4, 5, or 6

As a point of reference, I have a Hamer Standard and Fender USA Deluxe, Washburn G10V and Squier 51. Do you have any suggestions? Are there other guitars that I'm missing that I should look at?

Thanks everyone!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Keep the SG.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Love my PRS Tremonti. 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I like my SG but personally I'd get the LP

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I think I'd want an LP too.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Is there a semi-hollow in that group? If not think about nabbing one.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it's up to you. i don't like the nasalness of sg's, so i'd sell it, but if you like it and play it a lot, there's no reason to assume you'd like a random gibson lp. maybe check out the used stores and pawn shops, see if you can find one of the older lp's where they actually used a lot of wood to make them. i found one, it was a 70s gibson, but the tone on it was just ridiculously nice.
or, you might try some of the less well known names. you often can find a lot more guitar in the same price range, since you're not paying for a name.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i thought he wants something with humbuckers.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great options and opinions so far... I am not 100% sold on humbuckers only, but I don't want a Telecaster.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As a point of reference, I have a Hamer Standard and Fender USA Deluxe, Washburn G10V and Squier 51. Do you have any suggestions? Are there other guitars that I'm missing that I should look at?

Where's the Mockingbird?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i'd keep the SG...

why arent you keeping the strat?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

coming from a Gibson LP owner: KEEP THE SG.

you'll miss that double cut-a-way once its gone.

With that said, I wouldn't buy a $400 guitar...Save it up, and then buy the LP too! :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i don't know!!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You owe it to yourself to look at PRS.

Paul Reed Smith used to work for Gibson and took the best of their stuff and created his own guitar. Very nice. All of them.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i'd keep the SG...

why arent you keeping the strat?
I have a Strat Deluxe (or will very soon) and I'd like to have a different kind of guitar instead of two strats. That's why. The guitar plays and sounds great, just looking to have an assortment of gear.

Another option would be to sell the SG and the Relic Strat and pick up these two instead:

I would probably try to get a gold-top with Wilkinson tremolo.

and

I don't understand why Carvin doesn't get more love. Anyone know? You can get a top of the line California Carved guitar that looks EXACTLY like a PRS for $1500, and used you can get one of the lower models (like the one shown above) for about $850.

Why don't they hold value? Others here have owned Carvins - would you hold them up against a PRS or Gibson?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2