Clear all

Copyright album?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, here is the situation; as a band, we write all our own material. We have a demo recorded, which we intend to spread around a lot.
 Hopefully within this year we shall be recording an album.

Should we copyright our demo? Or should we save our money and just copyright the whole album?

If we copyright the album, will each song be protected individually, or just as an album?

How far does the copyright extend? Does it just cover that recording, or the words and music etc?

So many questions... So many questions...

Please help me!!!

Thankyou

Peter

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Alright, here's the simple answer:

Your songs are copyrighted whether or not they're on an album. When you talk about copyrighting a demo or a whole album; that's an entirely different matter:

An album copyright protects the actual recording, not the songs. You don't need to register this copyright (remember that a copyright is acquired automatically by finishing a project) for the demo or the album. As the demo/album will be on sale, it's easy enough to prove when it was made.

Songs should be protected individually. Please read:

Copyright Protection https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=408
When and Why to Get It

I don't mean to be self-promoting, but I think this should answer most of your questions.

ReplyQuote