Skip to content
Where did you sleep...

Notifications
Clear all

Where did you sleep last night - finger placement for e5 chord?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
10 K Views
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
just a question on the 'where did you sleep last night' lesson, I am having real trouble making the E5 chord and wondering if there's a better way to make it than what I'm doing.

I'm using my index and middle finger on A & D strings 2nd frets, and stretching with my ring finger to try to reach the 4th fret on the g string. As this is quite a stretch and takes me about 10mins, I've tried holding the a & d string with my index and the g string with the ring finger, which is quicker but mutes the rest of the higher strings, doesn't sound great. Is there a better way I'm missing? or do i just need to get stretchier :lol:
thanks, jen.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Why not use your little finger?

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nick, would that be more normal than using the ring finger? My pinky is somewhat wayward and doesn't seem to want to move without bringing the ring finger with it, so I kinda gave up on it, but if it ought to be doing more than it is, then i guess i should work on training it :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jerryt)

I can't make that stretch cleanly either and I am using my pinky. I leave the g string out by dampening it since the b note is already sounding on 2 strings.

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

I say use the lower 3 strings and forget the rest.
OR
If you can make your hand get to the shape a few times. Use your pinky to actually fret the note, and squeeze harder than you think you need to for 30 seconds. It'll help with the muscle memory of it.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote