Clear all

ya..ok

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Snow
(@snow)
Topic starter  

Hey im pretty new to these forms so sorry if i like posted in the wrong one or something. Ive been reading this site for the last 3 days now.. absolute and beginner sections mainly.. But it just doesnt make sence to me.. Its litteraly got my head spinnin, but ive got to learn it sometime or another. I have no specific question to say the least.

ok.. a little background? wanted to learn guitar sence i was ohh.. 12? just been puttin it along with my life on the back burner due to some issues of a personal manor (such as my father kicking me out quite soon but enough of that).. but thats changed a bit.. im 16 now and i think its time to get off my arse and do soemthin eh? so i went out and got a job at Recycling instruments wouldnt you know and now got myself a buetiful old 80's checker marithon (mm.. 454 v-8 ) to fix up but realy that isnt enough. The boss wants me to learn guitar, along with several other instruments and tahts agood thing.. caus it pushes me to actualy do somethin.. so the place is closed for a little while sence it is the holidays.. and i found this site. but nothing realy makes sence. Mothing realy clicks.. esspecialy that notation...

"Maby then i'll fade away and not have to face the facts" Rolling Stones Paint it black

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Wow, I hope your head is only spinning figuratively....

ReplyQuote
 Snow
(@snow)
Topic starter  

ok.. i just looked up a song like backin black (ac.dc) and it shows basicly the 6 lines thing.. but its gto things like
_____
2-2-2
-------
.etc

i know it was covered vary basicly in one of the many articles ive read so far but it never gave any clear explanation to its meaning..

"Maby then i'll fade away and not have to face the facts" Rolling Stones Paint it black

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A Checker Marathon with a 454?! AWESOME!
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Snow
(@snow)
Topic starter  

4 speed auto (put on an overdive kit and have 8 forward gears).. got factory air.. heavy surface rust and pealing paint.. all origenal interior and glass all chrome detailing...and has been sitting for around ohhhh... 6+ years. Got it for a grand ^.^ Canadian.. got to love hamilton-no one takes pride in anything it seems. I believe thisis also the 4 barrel model.. apsolutly buetiful. Now to get it running.......

ReplyQuote
 kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

hmm... it would help us if you told us what you know, even if its "nothing".

The most basic of things can be easily covered, but there is no point if you know how a guitar is tuned, how many notes a guitar deals with, etc etc.

I can tell you that the 6 lines you see represent strings... the bottom line normally represents the thickest (or "lowest") string, the top line is the thinnest.

The numbers represent what fret should be held down on that string.

So if you see 2-2-2-2 on the lowest line, that is the second fret of the low E string.

Browse the beginner section of this site, and go from there.. I think folks here will be willing to help, but specific questions are needed.

ReplyQuote
 Snow
(@snow)
Topic starter  

Thanks Kab you probly dont realise how much you just helped me there..
ok what i 'know' is the information contained in the sections of absolute beginer and beginer(and the articles branching from those articles).. now just becous i know it doesnt mean i understand it all.. printed everythin off last night with a cartridge that was suppose to be dead and ive spent my time today going over it when i had some spare time(so.. the whole day...) As far as tuning.. that im a little hit or miss on-going to have to wiat till i actualy am able to hold a guitar in my hand before i can realy deal with that. I understand the concept of the frets, and how to get differnt sounds from them and i believe i have some understanding of whats produced in corispondence with the frets. But i seem to have trobule grasping everything else.. heh.. heh..
heres what ive read
Posture
Happy New Ear
A Question of Balance
If Only I Had
Common Sence
What to Look for in an Accoustic Guitar
So You Want to Play Guitar huh?
Reaching the Limits
Fretboard 101
Fretboard 101 2
Your very own Rosseta Stone
A few tips for Begginers and Others
Changing Chords
Busy Begginer on a Budget
Easy Riffs of the Nieties
Dont Give In
The Musical Genone Prodject
Timing is Everything: A guide to Reading Musical Notation
Absolute Begginer
Stringing and Cleaning your Guitar
How to Tune a Guitar
and ive been browsing the theory section...

**sorry for my spelling/grammer**

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I want to see pics of the Checker. "Before" and "after" you fix it up.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

well, my guess is that things may not start to become clear until you have a guitar in your hands...

There are notes that can be duplicated in quite a few spots on a guitar, so this may add to confusion until you get a hold of one. (Pianos are a linear instrument, guitars offer more ways to play the same thing, which can be confusing at times).

I wouldn't even begin looking at theory until I had access to a guitar, knew how to tune it, and learned some very basic chords and patterns first. Oh yeah, and had fun with it (thats what its all about, really ;) )

ReplyQuote
 Snow
(@snow)
Topic starter  

haha.. glad theres so much interest.. sure thin, ill set somethin up somwere i cant quite rember the site.. it wil be somethin though.. it wont be fixed without a fight.. specialy if the engine is siezed*cringes*
got a nice 89 mustang that im thinking of picking up to.. same price at as the checker... 100% better condition..

ok kad.. wlel thanks for tryin.. but that one little thing just seemed to like almost clear everything up.. but jus one thign.. how many frets are there? caus this goes to -16-.. -18- .etc

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I wonder if youll be one of those guys who becomes a legend someday. The kid that couldnt read tab, all kinds of personal problems, and hits big with some huge guitar aided masterpeice.

Never aim small bro.

But do me a favor, and get a guitar in your hands while your learning. There isnt a pilot out there who didnt practice on a plane.

Good luck, play safe and hang in there. It all comes together one way or another.

Kido

P.S Ive got a few guys from around here I help out with theory stuff on Aim, if you ever get bored and need some help, drop me a line. My handle is callmekido

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

how many frets are there? caus this goes to -16-.. -18- .etc

Usually between 20 and 24. You need to get your hands on a guitar so you have some first hand knowledge to relate what you're reading to.

ReplyQuote
 Snow
(@snow)
Topic starter  

Well got my hands on a real cheap old acoustic(had like 12 frets before the board connected) |(well not so old)| but it was of indeed poor quality for 180 bucks (wich i dont have to spend thankfuly) the way the frets were, was like playing a razor blade.. So practiced some finger disaplen for about an hour straight.. and hopefuly tomorrow i can get back at it.. This guy-seemed real knoledgable about the construction of a guitar came in and went through basicly everythin outlining the major flaws due to the humidity(or lack there of) for this here shop.. learnt alot from him-and learnt what to watch out for.. but anyways i got one correction that mustang is a 87(last year of the T's)

oh hey.. do me a favour yall-stay away from the cheap vagabounds..

ReplyQuote