Skip to content
Why does D# sound s...

Notifications
Clear all

Why does D# sound so well when added to C# minor pentatonic?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mesmerized)
Topic starter  

Hello there,

I'm completely new here, so I hope I'm posting this question in the right section of the forum.

I've been trying to improvise a little bit over a simple chord progression: Amaj, Bmaj, C#min. Since I have no knowledge of scales other than major and pentatonic, I went for C# min pentatonic. I have two questions here...

1) Does C# minor pentatonic work over other chords in this progression? After all they are major chords (Amaj: A, E, C#; Bmaj: B, F#, D#). C# pentatonic consists of these sounds: C#, E, F#, G#, B, G#, so there is some overlap (except for G# and D#, all the other sounds can be found in either Amaj or Bmaj)

2) When I add D# to the mix... it sounds surprisingly well but I have no idea why...

I really don't know how to approach this whole thing. Should I be changing scales every time I'm improvising over a different chord?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

HamrockGuitar
(@hamrockguitar)

The C# minor Pentatonic scale is an abbreviated 5 note version of the C# minor diatonic (7 note) scale, which D# is the 2nd scale degree of. You leave out the 2nd and b6th scale degrees from the minor diatonic to get the minor pentatonic. Hope that helps!

This post was modified 3 years ago by HamrockGuitar
This post was modified 3 years ago by Guitar Noise

ReplyQuote