Skip to content
What scale would I ...

Notifications
Clear all

What scale would I play over this chord?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@duncantkane9206)
Topic starter  

I wish to solo over this chord progression in my song - the chords don't stick within any particular key it moves around chord to chord. The verse progression is:
G Bb+ Dm E7 C D (repeat)
For most of them, I would just solo over the scale that corresponds to the root note of the chord. I know I don't have to explain it here, but just an example. For the G chord, I would solo over G major pentatonic, and for the Dm chord I would solo over the D minor pentatonic scale, etc. TLDR; what scale would I play over a Bb+ chord? Sorry if I rambled haha, this is my first post and I haven't slept in 20 hours. Thanks!!

(@alangreen)

For the Bb+ chord it's time to start tinkering with the G major scale and start focussing on chord tones.

I'd be looking to emphasise G (in the G chord), F# (in the Bb+) to F natural (in the Dm) followed by G# (in the E7), G natural (in C) and finishing with F# (in D) to give a pair of chromatic movements.

Or - emphasise B (in the G), Bb (in the Bb+) and A (in the Dm) for an alternative chromatic movement

Or - emphasise D (in the G), keep the D (in the Bb+) and hang on to D again in the Dm and E7 to build tension using a static note over a moving chord sequence.

Alternatively, just looking at the Bb+, the bottom half of a D major scale will work, using E and G as passing notes.

Your possibilities are really endless; noodle around with a few ideas until one of them starts to connect.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You might also try a whole tone scale over Bb+, since augmented chords are made of two major thirds, each of which are two whole steps.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@misterlutherman)
Eminent Member

Yes, what the above peeps said.

Chord tone soloing is the best way for dealing with soloing over chord progressions where the key centre is ambiguous.

How do you create your chord progressions? It sounds like you choose chords that simply sound nice played after each other, rather than focusing on a key. That can be really freeing in being creative with creating chord progressions.

Take it or leave it, the shadow is always there.
Holding your hand.
With a glass of ice cold lemonade in the other.
Listening to reggae music.
What more do you want?

ReplyQuote