Clear all

scale with position shift

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm studying a couple of things in a Tony Rice Vid. He shows a G Major scale with position shift.
I was wondering if anyone knows any more of them. I thought it was kinda slick....simple but slick..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------7----8----10---------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------7---8---10---------------------------------
-----------------------------------------0----------------------7----9--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------0----2---4-----------7----9----10---------------------------------------------------------------
-----------0----2----3-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------3--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(@neztok)
Estimable Member

You can shift anywhere you feel like it. Once you add a few more things to your toolbox (besides patterns) you don't really have to think much about it. Is this what you're asking for:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Example 2 looks nice and tidy. I presume you'd slide your pinky up to the 10th fret for the final D and slide it back to the 8th fret to come back down the scale?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Take a look at the Rosetta Stone for Guitar. Fred Pool shows you how to move all over the neck

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks I was trying it in C also. I was trying to hit that open string, but I don't think it's that necessary.
It may be slowing me down a bit.
Just trying to find some slick ways to get from here to there.
You can take major or minor pents. Start it low & finish it high.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

What you might find is while they are "slick ways" at first, eventually they will become tired and predictable and leave your playing ideas/option feeling less and less exciting as you find your limited understanding of things has left you in a playing rut.

It's much better, if you are somehow able to learn to play all over the neck in any key, starting on any note and being able to proceed in any direction, without any constraints besides the number of frets.

Best,

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

For what it's worth, the Tony Rice trick is what I teach my students - but not just for scales. If you're going to be making a large position change, it's easiest to do it if you can hit an open string... that buys you an extra fraction of a second to get properly positioned.

As a bonus, the only way you can plan ahead for using open strings is by knowing the fretboard AND the spelling of the scales/arpeggios you're using. So just thinking through the planning of shifts using open strings will ultimately make you a better guitarist :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Actually, I already half do that, in pretty most any key but, you're right....it's the same notes, someplace else.

I started learning modes last year, with inversions, skipping notes, jumbling up the sequence......still...boring.

I got this shift scale thing from a Tony Rice Vid...hoping I can get some excitement going....too early to give up.....he can pick.

I see noteboat...I thought it was worth wild myself....time will tell. I'll make an attempt at Tony's stuff. It can't hurt.
Kinda difficult I think picking up someone's cross picking style when you have your own.

ReplyQuote