Notifications
Clear all

Not sure what to practice

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rubtle0)
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about 7 years but I have not really improved in the last two. I never had any lessons so I always just kinda learnt by trial and error. I just want to know what should i actually be doing everyday to improve my technical ability. It might sound like a dumb question but i have searched and searched and still not found the answer.

(@shredasaurusrex)

Make a few little goals for yourself every day. They will blossom into new goals and in time give you clarity about your playing. Try new things that you aren't good at or familiar with week and work on getting them comfortable.

All the best.

http://www.jayshepherdguitar.com

ReplyQuote
(@chubbs-griffin)

I hear you. One of the things I do when I feel the need to "level up" is learn a piece that I can't play. For instance I remember spending 3 weeks learning a Bach piece that was arranged by Jason Becker simply because I felt stagnant. Not only can I play the song now, but it opened me up to a lot of ideas on the frets. Things that I would have never thought of started coming to life in my riffs and solos.

ReplyQuote
(@gilbertog)

I had similar problem in the past. What I did was that I made a commitment that I would choose a song and I wouldn't play anything else until I mastered the chosen one.

And this way, song by song I mastered many of them and practiced A LOT!

"What we call 'mastery' can be defined as that mysterious process through which what is at first difficult or even impossible becomes easy and pleasurable through diligent, patient, long-term practice.” ― George Leonard

ReplyQuote
(@suvarchas)
Eminent Member

I think it's impossible for a guitarist to run out of things to learn. One can learn many different types of alternate chord voicings. Then one can learn fingerstyle arrangements of their favourite songs. I listen to many fingerstyle arrangements and learn the most melodic and sweet ones. Then their are different guitar playing styles to choose from. Learn jazz, blues, country, flamenco, ska, etc. One can also practise to sing with percussive rhythm guitar. After nothing is left you can compose your own pieces.

ReplyQuote