Notifications
Clear all

Naming chords

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

I understand what you are trying to say, but these two positions are determined by what the earliest fret is, that has a finger on it.

So in the instance of x 3 2 3 1 0 - 1 is the earliest or first fret that we have a finger, therefore, although your "C" shares the 3rd fret, "Position wise" its in first Position.

Take an A6 for example 5 x 4 5 6 x as used in a song like "Lenny" by SRV. This would be position 4 since the first incidence of the fretted note is at the 4th fret. I know it can be confusing if you only look at the roots as determining the position, but if you look at the earliest fretted note as the position, it makes more of a difference and eliminates the notion of x 3 2 3 1 0 and x 3 5 3 5 x being the "same" positions.

Hope that helped make sense a bit.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Sean, I must think about it, perhaps it solves the problem. :D

I only found a possible incompatible case with, for example, C7b9: x3232x and xx2323. Really they are different voices of the almost the same fingering. The first one contains the root on 5th string and the second one is rootless (and add the 5).

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Thanks Sean, I must think about it, perhaps it solves the problem. :D

I only found a possible incompatible case with, for example, C7b9: x3232x and xx2323. Really they are different voices of the almost the same fingering. The first one contains the root on 5th string and the second one is rootless (and add the 5).

WHich is why you need the standard notation and the position.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2