Clear all

In depth theory book.

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a book (it probably doesn't exist!) that explains, in detail, the whys and wherefores of modern musical theory as it relates to the guitar. It got to cover a good range of topics. Basically juts like the articles on guitar noise, but nucely ordered in a book!

eg why does the 1st, 3rd and 5th degree make a major chords.
In a particualr key of a major scale why is the 1st, 4th and 5th chords major and the others minor.

Basically i'm the kind of guy that loves to keep asking why, like an annoying child. But once i understand the core principles of something, then i never forget it and i will be able to really get int oit and be able to use it.

Hope you understand what i'm looking for.

Mart.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Some of what you're looking for you won't find... for instance, the 1-3-5 forms a major chord because the sound is simply called a major chord (it's like asking why we call a guitar a guitar instead of some other name).

The why of the I-IV-V being major in major keys you can find in any theory book - that's basic scale harmonization.

There are lots and lots of theory books out there, and a growing number geared towards the guitar (maybe I started a trend when I wrote mine?) - most of them will give you the basics.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply.

Any plans for you to write a follow up to your book - contining increasingly more advanced concepts. I'd certainly buy it.

Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm working on several book projects at the moment - we'll see which one gets done first. In the hopper are books of scale studies, chord voicings, a rhythm guitar method, and one on the basics of harmony.

It's just hard finding enough time to write books, teach, gig, work on my newsletter, keep up my website...

If I could find another 30 hours in the day, that would be ideal :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

we appreciate it, Tom.
....but Id like to know the URL to the website... maybe i can learn something, assuming its guitar/theory related...
maybe you should put it in your sig... would definately increase the hits to it.

EDIT: you have it as yuor homepage. wow im real observant.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Basically juts like the articles on guitar noise, but nucely ordered in a book!
Why not print out the articles and staple them in a nice, neat, little book?

:)

Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@hughm)
Trusted Member

Keep looking for that theory-for-guitar bible, and when you find it, let us know.

In the meantime, pick up a used copy of Walter Piston's "Harmony." Yeah, yeah, you have to read standard notation, and yeah, it's not guitar specific. But this is The Work. If you work your way through it slowly (maybe taking a couple of years or so) you'll have learned all you need to know.

ReplyQuote
(@mp173)
Eminent Member

Noteboat's book is good. I took a year of theory classes and between the classes and the book, I sort of understand things. Not to the degree that Tom does, but then again, I have only been doing this 3 years.

I am like you that I keep looking the ULTIMATE guitar book that puts all pieces together. I dont think I will find it.

That is why I keep picking up books and adding to the collection. Between books and lessons it gets better.

I think the important thing to do is play (duh!) and study. Combine the playing with good books and try to figure out why something works. That works particularly if you have a CD along with the book.

Tom, if you dont mind...it would be a great investment for me to purchase a book that not only discusses subjects such as chord progressions with pent scales, but also gives a track on the CD with the concept.

In other words...have a I, V, VI blues progression with the pent minor scale and the pent major and perhaps a mixture of the two in a call and response sequence, adding major 3rds and 6ths to the minor pent scale and illustrating the sounds. BTW...that is what I am working on now.

All in all, the study of music is a wonderful journey. I only wish I had begun earlier in life.

ed

ReplyQuote