Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Get Noteboat's theory book here

57 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
66.6 K Views
(@cedar)

I've been putting off purchasing this book for far to long. But I've now done so, can't wait to read it!

Just a note about getting the book in Canada. I first tried the Amazon.ca route but the book was going to cost $57.00 + shipping. I then tried Amazon.com, I ordered with a Canadian shipping address and it ships out the door at $21.00. no problem. Should be here in 4 days.

P.S. I (Pre)orderd David Hodge's new Bass book too from the US store at $15.00 (not even listed on the .ca site)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Hi Tom!

I'm new here. I'm enjoying your book very much (MTfG) and your articles also!
(Please do more Standard Notation articles, specially how to memorize all those difficult inversions of chords reading).
OK.The purpose of my post is that I've found that there is a mistake in page 90 in the book: there are no Major seventh chords, though you mention them.
Please I will appreciate if you can show me these chords, cause I'm trying to figure out the fingerings,but I'm not so sure if i'm doing it the right way.

All the best.
From Lima ,Peru
Roberto

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Roberto,

Thanks for catching the missing art. In tab, the four voicings would be:

xx10-10-8-8 (root on top)
x3545x (third on top)
xx2413 (fifth on top)
xx5557 (seventh on top)

Of course, you could add other chord tones to any fingering - but those have one of each chord tone.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Tom:

Thanks a lot!

Two of the questions of the week finally solved by you!(Ted Greene and the major seventh shapes)

Mucha appreciated
Take care

Roberto

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Tom:

I think you should definitely write a second book,or as you mentioned,improve this one for the second edition, since you are helping lots of guitarists with excellent tips in the forum and in your articles.With all these info you could hit the jackpot of sales with a kind of 'Frequently Asked Questions of theory for Guitar' Book.
I agree with the former poster about the excess of empty spaces in this one and I really think a second part with all these FAQ or tips would be the book of the season.

These are my my two cents for constructive criticism.Otherwise i'm really enjoying it , specially in the intervals ,traids and inversions sections.It's warmer than those Mel Bay specialized books.

All the best.
Roberto

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Roberto. I try to write like I speak; if I try to write like a "writer" would, it feels strange to me.

I'm actually working on a new book right now - I'm just taking a break for a moment :) I'll post details when it's a little closer to completion, sometime next year.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I'm actually working on a new book right now - I'm just taking a break for a moment :) I'll post details when it's a little closer to completion, sometime next year.

Hey Noteboat, I'm very interested in learning more theory and I'm interested in your book. However I would like to view some sample pages as a previous poster suggested. I looked at amazon but there were no sample pages as there were for other theory books. It really helps to evaluate a book. I also tried the local GC but they didnt have yours. Would it be possible to email me a few pages to look over before I buy?

This new book you mention above, is it a second edition or a sequel? Any idea as to when it will be out?

Thanks.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I know the 'search inside the book' feature at Amazon is something a lot of people find helpful... but you might also have noticed that a LOT of books don't take advantage of this feature.

The reason is the contract Amazon proposed. I only saw it once when they started offering the feature, so maybe it's been changed - but it basically said that publishers gave Amazon the perpetual, non-revocable right to use the books content in any way they saw fit, on any site, at any time. Lots of publishers said "thanks, but no thanks".

I don't have e-mailable pages right now. I might have sample pages and/or an e-book version of a second edition, which will probably be sometime in 2008. I'll be expanding a few sections, especially after all the helpful and constructive comments I've received, and I'll be including 'self-tests' after some of the chapters. There is a table of contents on my website, though ( http://www.noteboat.com ), and if you let me know where you're located I can see if anyone in the area stocks it so you could look at it first.

The new book is still under wraps, but I'm nearly done with the writing. It'll probably be in print in 6-9 months after a few rounds of editing.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

...and if you let me know where you're located I can see if anyone in the area stocks it so you could look at it first.

That would be great. I live southwest Georgia between Valdosta, Ga, and Tallahassee Fl.
I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Is the book only available on Amazon?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No - Amazon, Barnes & Noble, music stores (distributed through Harris Teller), my website, EU orders through Greybeard on GN - he stocks it in Germany, and some independent bookstores.

ReplyQuote
(@switch10)
Trusted Member

Im completely self taught, and i've been playing for about 15 years. i've looked at some theory lessons online, and i didnt absorb as much as i would have liked. I just ordered this book, it looks great being geared toward guitarists and all. hopefully it's what i've been looking for.

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I went into this dark forum to get a starting point. Saw this thread and ordered the book. I wonder now, will he really sign it with the text I entered? :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@switch10)
Trusted Member

I went into this dark forum to get a starting point. Saw this thread and ordered the book. I wonder now, will he really sign it with the text I entered? :)

he signed mine with the text i entered. fast shipping too.

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

he signed mine with the text i entered. fast shipping too.

Actually, it was more of a question of a bit of smart-a**ed content than would he do as advertised. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4