28 Users
0 Likes
66.6 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You can read my review here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/reviews/music-theory-for-guitarists/

You can buy the book from the link an the bottom of the review. It's just a great theory book.

If you are in the UK drop a PM to greybeard. He is the UK distributor.

It's also available on Amazon.

(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I'm aware of the connection between this review and one review on amazon.com

8)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yep, they are both mine.

What can I say? When I see a good thing I want to let the world know. :D

BTW, I get no kickback or percentage of sales from Noteboat's book.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

:D
I know what you mean.
It really caught my attention, and that's the purpose in the end!

btw: is it really MONDAY? where have I been the last three days?

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

Has anyone seen the latest review by a guy called J Hays?? Either he's illiterate or he's got the wrong book......nasty guy...

Take a look:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A21GRC0JBWPFNH/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-8690679-1335222?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Alex

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

weird....that sounds like an axe to grind to me.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I saw that the day he posted it - it's my only bad review so far, anywhere.

I thought about answering it, but I figured it's really not worth the trouble - sales through Amazon have dipped slightly, but not much - they still sell about 80 copies a month or so.

I was sort of flattered that he said it's not as bad as the 'for Dummies' book. I haven't read their theory book, but all the Dummies and Idiots books I've looked at have been pretty decent in their subjects.

The other two faults he finds - that I'm not 'up to date on advances in guitar tablature' and that you need to have more than a basic undertanding of music to use the book, simply don't make sense. You can't learn theory through tab - tab does not distinguish between F# and Gb (an important difference, for theory!) or other enharmonic notes - so tab is only used to facilitate understanding the standard notation.

You don't need any background in music to use the book, either... but it won't teach you how to play guitar. If you're looking for a book to give you all the chord fingerings or scale patterns, this ain't it - there are books available for those purposes.

My impression is that here's a guy who plays some other instrument, and figured understanding theory as applied to the guitar would make him a guitarist. That's not the way it works, and it's not what the book was written for.

Oh well :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, I came across this and posted my review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0972472304/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/102-1767939-7970528?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Tom, I re-read your book and the other reviewer was smokin' crack at the time of his writing. :shock: I'm happy to learn just a few new things in a theory book. Anything more is just gravy.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Tom,

Do you know a Chris Hays or Chris Hays Karvon? Couple of names I googled up with the search "J. Hays guitar"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Not personally, no. But then, I don't know most of the people who've bought the book :)

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

I have been looking for a music theory book that uses guitar rather than keyboard. I've just ordered this. Thanks.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Just thought I'd let you know, Tom - my birthday came around and I asked for your book and my folks actually got it for me!

My only dissapointment is that it wasn't signed to me, since I feel like I know you in a way, but that's the drag of getting presents! :D

Anyhow, I'm starting to get into it and I have to say it's everything I thought it would be, very clear, consise, and thorough.

Thanks for a good read! 8)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Just a quick question:

Did this book go out of print? I can't find at my local bookstores and I went on http://amazon.ca and it says the book is out of print. I'm guessing this is only in Canada(hopefully). I really want to check out this book it sounds interesting.

Edit: So I just saw this link: http://www.noteboat.com/specials/gn_special.html and I was wondering how much the shipping to Canada would be. Since it says it will only cover shipping to the US..... :(

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's definately not out of print; however, I don't think Amazon stocks it in Canada. I'll ship direct to Canada via surface mail (depending on where you are, that could take a few weeks), or you could have a bookstore order it - I know some Canadian bookstores have stocked it.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If Amazon doesn't stock it, but has it listed, they do tend to mark it as "out of print"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4