"Amanda" by Boston; Who is she?

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
18.5 K Views
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry if not in the correct forum, but I guess you could consider it a trivia question.

Ok, this might be well known to everyone else, but I don't know the answer, so...

"Who" is Amanda? Who are they singing about in this song?

I've searched all over the 'net, not really coming up with anything. Maybe someone should start a website about the meaning of songs. :)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'd guess it's just a name that fit the song and the mood. It's more than likely the song doesn't refer to any specific person.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Uh is it Amanda Stevens from "Bewitched"? Who is Ninetynine from Toto?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Uh is it Amanda Stevens from "Bewitched"?

Ummmmm...... I think you're thinking of Samantha Stevens....... :?

And, I agree with Musenfreund. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be about anyone. The name Amanda may have just fit the pentameter they were using. (Guess it could have been Samantha, as well! :D )

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Amanda. Samantha. They both end with an A don't they? :P

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

In that case, let's make it "Elvira". If that hadn't already been taken by the Oak Ridge Boys, think of the number of babies who might have been named Elvira that year after a Boston tune!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Elvira made me think of Lucrecia (which would also work!)......... who did a song about Lucrecia? 60's or 70's era, I think.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Levon Helm maybe?

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Just figured it out...... it's "Lucrecia McEvil" by Blood, Sweat & Tears, circa 1970 while David Clayton Thomas was still part of BS&T.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

There was also "Hollyann" from that album. Tom Scholz was just a "playa". Don't be hatin! :oops:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

On the album are two "bookend" songs: the first song was Amanda. The last song was Hollyann. I was always under the impression that Amanda was Tom Sholz (sp) girl at the time; and Hollyann was Brad Delp's (R.I.P. :( ) girl at the time. The album credits show TS as writing or co-writing all the songs, and that Sholtz and Delp were the only original band members on the album.

I could be wrong 8)

I don't think they were famous gals.

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@bee-woman)

My hunch is there is no Amanda - the song's original incarnation was "My Destination." I think the later "Amanda" is a big improvement.

ReplyQuote