My wah hums

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

My beloved old Thomas Organ Co./Vox Cry Baby is beautifully quiet with a battery under the hood. With 9v adaptors, it hums.

I searched for "pedal hums" in the forums & got nothing useful. If anyone has any ideas, I will be grateful.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

(@alangreen)

I know why it hums.

It's because it doesn't know the words.

Sorry. Old joke. In fact, really old joke. Just couldn't resist :D

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

It's probably hum from the Ac source. You might have a bad transformer in the adapter, or you might need a better one. Use the battery.

ReplyQuote
(@cantankerousd)
Eminent Member

You might try to plug in to an outlet that is on a seperate circuit from your amp. Sometimes this can help.

You don't have to firebomb dresden to prove you can fly a plane.-Warren Zevon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i had that issue, so i got one of those connector things that goes from your power source to the 9v hookup instead of to the input jack.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

My pedal is pre-input jack. All there is is the nine-volt clip.

I'll try it with an adapter at next band practice, on an outlet I know to be grounded and quiet....

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My beloved old Thomas Organ Co./Vox Cry Baby is beautifully quiet with a battery under the hood. With 9v adaptors, it hums.

I searched for "pedal hums" in the forums & got nothing useful. If anyone has any ideas, I will be grateful.

Make sure the phase is right. Had the same problem with my ancient Maestro Fuzztain, even though it had a (mini phone plug) jack for a power transformer. Turned out the solution was reversing the wires so negative and positive went to the "wrong" parts of the jack, like the original Maestro power supply did. Instead of the "standard" tip= positive, sleeve=negative, it expected the positve on the sleeve and negative at the tip.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote