[Sticky] EFX Loops and Sequencing

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
16 K Views
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here is a useful article on how to use effects loops. It also has recommendations on which pedals goes first, and which goes last.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/loup-garou/

(@apg3soup)

This is a great article, but I have a question:

I own a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head and a multi effects processor. (BOSS GT5)
I do not want to use any of the pre-amp simulations or distortions. I am only interested in using delay, reverb, phaser, some of those type of effects. I fall under the category "A" of a multi effects unit and wanting to use my amps clean and distortion...so
I dont clearly follow the setup recommended under section "A" - it states:

"If you want to use your amp's sound, things get more complicated.
a) easy way of doing it: Use your amp's clean and overdrive sounds and the multi-efx only to provide the effects that should come after overdrive/distortion. Put the multi into the effect loop. "

Do you simply go: guitar into the amp input and have the send and return running through the efx board?
I don't understand what they mean when they say "Put the multi into the effect loop"...so a real clear cut diagram from guitar all the way through the amp layout would be much appreciated. Thanks! `Tim

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is a great article, but I have a question:

I own a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head and a multi effects processor. (BOSS GT5)
I do not want to use any of the pre-amp simulations or distortions. I am only interested in using delay, reverb, phaser, some of those type of effects. I fall under the category "A" of a multi effects unit and wanting to use my amps clean and distortion...so
I dont clearly follow the setup recommended under section "A" - it states:

"If you want to use your amp's sound, things get more complicated.
a) easy way of doing it: Use your amp's clean and overdrive sounds and the multi-efx only to provide the effects that should come after overdrive/distortion. Put the multi into the effect loop. "

Do you simply go: guitar into the amp input and have the send and return running through the efx board?
I don't understand what they mean when they say "Put the multi into the effect loop"...so a real clear cut diagram from guitar all the way through the amp layout would be much appreciated. Thanks! `Tim

That is the correct way to interpret the article. As always, different variations may sound better to you, but this is a good way to start.

ReplyQuote
(@apg3soup)

Thanks Laz! Appreciated - `Tim A.

ReplyQuote
(@drherbal1)

Can you recommend a decent octave pedal for electro-acoustic guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@apg3soup)

Years have gone by, and I can't even begin to describe how much information I have learned since first reading this article. I think when I first googled my search on hooking up effects I came to this page.

For anyone just starting out, give it time, ask lots of questions, search the information you do not understand in the article, and ask other users helpful tips. Make sure you thank them for you input. :) I still have TONS of questions which is what is so amazing about guitar, it never ends!

Even though I no longer use this setup I stated back in 2009 (I still own the head, just changed up my effects BIGTIME - I do still own the processor though because I refuse to sell anything relating to equipment since it goes ---> new, dated, not too useful, vintage and useful!)

Anyways, thanks for the help guys :) Best of luck to everyone else searching for that information!

ReplyQuote