Clear all

Boosting volume for solos for 2 amps without effects loops

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cragga)
Topic starter  

Hi

This is my first post, so I hope somebody could help me out here?

I have a 2 amp set up - Marshall JTM60 with a 4x10 and extended 2x12 cab (this is for the vintage hard rock stuff); and also a Fender Blues Deluxe combo (for clean and slightly overdriven sounds).

The problem I have is that I want to use one boost pedal (currently a mxr micro amp) to boost solos. However, this means I cant use the effects loop on any of the amps as it's only one pedal. My pedal board will definitely not accommodate another mxr, that's for sure. So, you'll probably guess that it won't boost the signal as I want as I am using the drive channels on both amps, I.e. The boost will be before the preamp.

So, is there any way I could use just one pedal to boost the volume (not gain) on both amps (before the pre amp) without using the fx loops? Is there a pedal that could do this? It's basically like another master volume for both amps. Perhaps turning the gain down on the amps give more head room for a boost before preamp?

Just to point out, I use an A/B switch to select each amp, I don't ever use both amps on at the same time.

Hope someone can help?

Cheers.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could use a clean boost pedal (Boss LS2) or you could try an equaliser pedal

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cragga)
Topic starter  

You could use a clean boost pedal (Boss LS2) or you could try an equaliser pedal

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

So would the boss definitely boost the signal before the preamp without using the fx loops? I take it that the boss would do a different job than the mxr I have? It's not a huge amount of volume boost I need, it's just to make it noticeably louder. My mxr just puts a little bit more gain, but no volume increase at all.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If it's only a small boost, you need, use an equaliser. You not only get a boosted signal, you can also selectively boost/cut specific frequencies

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote