But somehow I know it won't be the same
F# E
Somehow I know it'll never be the same.

Chords

B 79987x
A 57765x
E 022100
F# 24432x

If you can play an E bar chord, this song will be no problem. At first look this song seems very difficult to beginners since its a bunch of E shaped bar chords. But I can't play an E shaped bar chord cleanly to save my life but I managed to learn this song. I just fingered the chords a little differently instead of laying a finger across all 6 strings. For example, for the A bar chord I place my index finger on the fifth fret of the b string, my middle finger on the 6th fret of the g string, my pinky on the 7th fret of the fourth string, my ring finger on the seventh fret of the A string, and then I wrap my thumb around and push the E string down at the fifth fret. It's a little tricky at first, especially the thumb part, but if you cant play the bar chord it's an easier alternative and still sounds great cuz the song mainly emphasizes the base so u don't need the first e string to sound. And you shouldn't have much trouble muting it with that fingering. Once you get that shape down for the A you can use it for all the bar chords in the song just slide it up and down. The only tricky part will be going from the A to the E and back to the A, but after getting the fingerings down it will become easier.

Strum Pattern

This one sounds good for the majority of the song.

A
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a
D X u D D X u d u

E
D X u D D X u d u

The up down up after the palm mute on beat four doesn't have to be perfect it just keeps the rhythm goin so what I do is hit the palm mute on beat four then as I'm sliding to the next chord I do the up down up. So a lot of the time its muted or you just hear the bottom strings a little.
Use that strum for all the chords except the part where F# and B are only held for half measures during the “on and on and on” parts. Then you could use

F# B
D X x x x D X x x x

F# B A
D X x x x D D X x x x

The change to the B happens in beat three for some reason the B in that first measure keeps lining up over the and after beat two.

Then go back to the A for the whole measure and so on. The little x's are just up down ups as I'm changing chords and just help keep the rhythm goin. The nice thing about the palm mutes on beat two and four is that it helps get the rhythm stuck in your head so it shouldn't be too hard to switch it up a little for the F# B part where you change after two beats. Enjoy!

(@j-rock)
Estimable Member

I haven't tried it yet, but nice job man. Thank you.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

There's a fantastic tutorial for this one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SojqfX-OQRA

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote