Clear all

Thank You - Led Zeppelin

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A recent post found a few lamenting over the prospects of no easy Jimmy Page / Led Zeppelin songs. Not so. This one is pretty easy in comparison to many. A couple of tricky little things thrown in this, but it's really pretty straight forward beyond that.

This is based on a cover by Chris Cornell on solo acoustic. Here's a link to the song. Not a great video, but it's clear to hear at least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUJg8-W5RE

Most of the song is D, C and G chords. Throw in a Bm (do the easy version if you need to), E and A in the bridge and chorus and that's about it. The D and C chords during the intro have a little bit of fancy-fingering to do. Nothing major. It's a normal D chord with a Dsus4 and a D2 mixed in, and the C chord, you hit the high e string on the third fret with your pinky a few times. But, you know what, if you can't do it yet......just play the chords and work on it. Still veddy much fun to play.

The chords:
Thank You - LED ZEPPELIN

INTRO: D-riff, C-riff, G , D X2

[Verse]
[D] If the sun ref[C]used to shine [G]
I would still be l[D]oving you
[D]When mountains crumble [C]to the sea [G]
There would still be [D]you and me

[Chorus]
[Bm] Kind of women, I give you m[E]y all
[Bm] Kind of women, [E]nothing mo[A]re

[Bridge]
[C] Little drops of rain
[G] Whisper on the plains
[D] Tears of loves lost in the days gone by
[C] And my love is strong
[G] Here there is no wrong
To[D]gether we shall go until we die
[D] mm my, my,

[Chorus]
[Bm] An inspiration is what you [E]are to me
[Bm] Inspiration, lo[E]ok s[A]ee

[Instrumental]
[D-riff] [C-riff] [G] [D] X 3

[Verse]
[D] And so today [C]my world it smiles [G]
Your hand in mine [D]we walk the miles
[D]But thanks to you, it w[C]ill be done
[G]For you, to me, are the on[D]ly one

[Chorus]
[Bm] Happiness, n[E]o more be sad
[Bm] Happiness, I a[E]m gl[A]ad

[Outro]
[D] If the sun re[C]fused to shine [G]
I would still be [D]loving you
When mountains crumble [C]to the sea [G]
There would still be [D]you and me

[D-riff] [C-riff] [G] [D]

Notes:
D-Riff: A D chord with a little Dsus4 and D2 mixed in.
C-Riff: A C chord with a little Cadd9 (x32013) in the middle

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You know, the more I listen to this - Led Zep, not Cornell - the more I think he's just playing around with D, Dsus4 and Dsus2 chords in the intro and playing the descending bass line with his thumb. Seems to work for me, anyway.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You are correct Vic. 8) Here's a link to the tab here at GN: Thank You

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ooooops. :oops: I had no idea I was being redundant. I actually had totally forgotten about that old section from yester-year.

Feel free to delete my submission in efforts to remain clean. Sorry folks.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dan, thanks for that link - I've been trying to find it for a while! I won't lose it again!

Roy, some people may find your way easier - so let's leave it in. This is supposed to be the EASY song database, after all!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gothardb)

Really great song, but solo is even better :)) I'm currently learning it.

Sry for my english, i'm still learning. Nobody's perfect :P (and i'm nobody :D )
I love making solos - http://sologuru.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it. It's pretty close to another one I submitted recently by the Marshall Tucker Band called "Can't You See".

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

thanks for posting this. i'm learning this one and lo and behold it's right here...

ReplyQuote
(@spiritinthesky)
Eminent Member

Thank You is such a great song. I also love all of Led Zepp II, I think their best album.

ReplyQuote