Clear all

She's The Only Girl For Me - Gerry and The Pacemakers

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It's been too long since I last added a song. So! what better reason than this one. This is a classic from Gerry and the boy's lifted from the original "Ferry Cross The Mersey" film soundtrack album. I had mint copy of this album once but sold it foolishly when we were short of money quite a few years ago. I regretted it almost at once when the dealer gave me £30 for it. It was worth far more than that.

I think this song equals Gerry's "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" for haunting beauty in the melody.

You only get this effect with the minor chords. So if you want to break someones heart with a song use minor chords.

Ok the lyrics are a bit cheesy but Gerry was only in his early 20's at the time and it sums up that first serious girl/boy relationship story so well.

I've attached a youtube link at the bottom of this post so you can get the feel of the song and the strum pattern.

It really is easy, I tried it out at the open mic last week after discovering the chords on the internet at lunchtime. Picked up the guitar when I got home from work and had it cracked in about 15 mins tops. I hadn't used the Dm chord in quite a while so I was a bit rusty there when I played it at the pub later. But it went ok.

You're Still The Only Girl For Me
Intro: Am, E, Am, E
Verse 1:
Am E
When you left me I felt sad and blue,
Am E
Cause I've loved nobody else but you,
Dm Am
Each time I pass you by, I feel as though I'm gonna die,
E Am E
You're still the only girl for me.

Verse 2:
Am E
If you would only try and think of me,
Am E
Then you would realise you've got to be,
Dm Am
My only love forever, Darling it could last forever,
E Am E

Bridge:
Dm Am
Our love was parted by a foolish thing,
Dm Am
A childish quarrel over you,
Dm Am
I said you'd been out with another boy,
B7 E
But now you've gone what can I do

Verse 3:
Am E
If you would only try and think of me,
Am E
Then you would realise you've got to be,
Dm Am
My only love forever, Darling I would leave you never,
E Am Am
E Am Am

Enjoy everyone and here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Jw5rCCNT4

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Don't actually know this song, Chris, but I'll be sure to check it out in the AM on Youtube. Still planning on taking a guitar on the Mersey Ferry this summer, though, and playing "Ferry 'Cross The Mersey" - as long as I don't have to wear an Aran Cardie and a peaked cap!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote