Jake Bugg "Path of the lightning bolt"

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just been inspired to put this one up.
It is being used to advertise BA holidays at the moment on the tv.

Only 3 chords....have a go....
E B A E B A E
Morning, it's another pure, grey morning, Don't know what the day is holding

B A E B A E
when i get uptight and i walk right into the path of a lightning bolt.

E B A E B A E
Sirens of an ambulance comes howling right through the centre of town

B A E B A E
and no one blinks an eye and i look up to the sky in the path of a lighting bolt.

B A E B A E
Met her at the as the angels parted for her, but she only brought me touture but

B A E B A E
that's what happens when it's you who's standing in the path of a ligthning bolt.

Chorus

A E
Everyone i see just wants to walk with gritted teeth but i just stand by and
A
i wait my time they say you gotta tow the line they want the water not the
E B A
wine but when i see the signs i jump on that lightning bolt.

Verse
E B A E B A
Chances, people tell you not to take chances, when they tell you there aren't any

E B A E B A E
answers and i was starting to agree but i awoke suddenly in the path of a lightning bolt.

Fortune, people talking all about fortune do you make it or does it just call you.
In the blinking of an eye just another passerby in the path of a lightning bolt.

Chorus

It was silent, i was laying back gazing skyward when the moment got shattered
i remembered what you said and then she fled in the path of a lightning bolt

Check out YouTube for the rhythm and a happy new year to you all

Rodders :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@alangreen)

Nice one. I can use this with students in lessons.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice one Rodders. This song caught my ear as well from the adverts! And for anyone who's not mastered those barre chords yet, try to remember, a capo is your best friend! In this particular case, put the capo on at the 2nd fret and substitute D for E, G for A and A for B chords.

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It should be noted that the B chord is played as a B5, with the high and low E strings muted using the tip and base of your index finger. the chord shape and fingering, for those of you that don't know is.
Use your index finger to fret the A string at the second fret and your 3rd finger on the D at the 4th and your ring finger on the G at the 4th

EADGBe
x2440x

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nice one Rodders. This song caught my ear as well from the adverts! And for anyone who's not mastered those barre chords yet, try to remember, a capo is your best friend! In this particular case, put the capo on at the 2nd fret and substitute D for E, G for A and A for B chords.

Vic
No need for barre chords. They are all open

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

EADGBe
x2440x

Hmmm....bit of a pig for the inexperienced guitarist, though, Rod. You have to remember that D G and A are far simpler chords for the learner to play. That's why I'm suggesting a capo on the 2nd, it'll put you in the right key AND you can play all six strings if you can manage to play D as 200232 with your thumb on the bottom E string, which isn't too much of a stretch for those fairly new to guitar as their thumbs tend to gravitate that way fairly naturally!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

I prefer the non capo E/A/B - the 'feel' is better. Great song though, liked it since it came out.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I find this song is a brilliant catalist for learning the quick chord change as the tempo is fairly racey.
If you can master the speed of change in this song after a little practice you'll be able to do it on other songs.
For quite a simple basic song there is a lot to think about if you want to sing and play as timing is all important in this one. Try and learn the lyrics as well as the chord changes, rather than reading the sheet as you play. (of course you will have to do this at first) but you will find it all the easier if you can do without because when reading through to perform you are really multi tasking, doing three things as opposed to just two.
I have learnt this lesson the hard way doing open mics. I find it easier to learn first then perform. With a three chord song like this you will soon get the feel/groove and the changes will come naturally.
Good luck with this one. It is a great song with great lyrics and its always appreciated by those listening.

ReplyQuote