Clear all

I'm Free - The Who

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In case you've missed it; Vic Lewis did a wonderful job on Pinball Wizard awhile back. Thanks Vic! This is another song off of the Tommy album, & Pete uses the same technique at the end of this song that he uses on Pinball Wizard, so be sure to check out Vic's lesson, as he probably explains it much better than I can. Enjoy! :D

Dan

YouTube link for reference: The Who - I'm Free

The Who - I'm Free

Intro:

E E G G A A A F#m F#m A A B B B (2x's)

Chorus:

E E G G A A A F#m F#m A A B B B
I'm free
I'm free
G A D Dsus4 D
And freedom tastes of reality
I'm free
I'm free
G A B Bsus4 B
And I'm waiting for you to follow me

Verse:

Bm
If I told you what it takes to reach the highest high
G A D Dsus4 D
You'd laugh and say "Nothing's that simple"
Bm
But you've been told many times before, Messiahs pointed to the door
G A B
No one had the guts to leave the temple

Chorus:

I'm free
I'm free
G A D Dsus4 D
And freedom tastes of reality

SOLO:

(Pete plays Dsus4 & D for a few bars under his solo. If you're not doing the solo, just skip to the chorus again.)

Chorus:

I'm free
I'm free
G A B
And I'm waiting for you to follow me

Outro:

Bsus4 B Bsus4 B Bsus4 B Bsus4 B
How can we follow? How can we follow?

Bsus4 B Bbsus4 Bb Asus4 A Absus4 Ab Gsus4 G F#sus4 F#
Oooh Oooh Oooh Oooh Oooh Oooh How can we follow?

Notes:

You only want to play the last four strings of the intro/chorus chords. I find it pretty easy to play an open E 0221xx, then an open G 320xxx, then lay you index finger down on the 2nd fret to play the A x022xx, while using your thumb to mute the 6th string. For the F#m, I keep the position I had for the A chord, and just add my ring finger to the 5th string 4th fret, and pinky to 4th string 4th fret and instead of muting the 6th string with my thumb, I use the thumb to play the 6th string 2nd fret 2442xx, then just lift the ring finger & pinky off again & your back to the A chord, then just slide the index finger up to grab the 5th string 2nd fret, and add the ring finger to the 4th string 4th fret, and the pinky to the 3rd string 4th fret for the B chord x244xx, while muting the 6th string with the thumb. Very minimal movement once you get that down.
For the Bsus4 at the end of the 1st chorus, I play the B chord using my index finger barring the 2nd fret starting at the 5th string, but slightly touching the side of the 6th string to mute it, middle finger on the 4th string 4th fret, and pinky on the 3rd string & 2nd string 4th frets, then push my wrist forward slightly making my fingers raise off of the higher strings & pointing almost straight up & down so you can sound the 1st & 2nd strings open x24400, then move your wrist & fingers back to play your B chord again.
For the Outro part – see the chord shapes below. The bass note on the 6th string is played using your thumb, which also is used to mute the 5th string. Your index finger plays the note on the 2nd string, while also muting the 1st string. Place your ring finger on the 4th string, your pinky on the 3rd string, and your middle finger also on the 3rd string right behind your pinky. When you play the chords with your pinky down it's a suspended chord, (sus4), and when you lift your pinky off and your middle finger comes into action, it's a standard chord. This shape is moved right down the fretboard while strumming very fast. (listen to the song to get the strumming pattern.) Pete uses this same technique in Pinball Wizard.

Chords:

E 0221xx Bsus4 7x997x B 7x987x
G 320xxx Bbsus4 6x886x Bb 6x876x
A x022xx Asus4 5x775x A 5x765x
F#m 2442xx Absus4 4x664x Ab 4x654x
B x244xx Gsus4 3x553x G 3x543x
D xx0232 F#sus4 2x442x F# 2x432x
Dsus4 xx0233
Bm x24432

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

(@steves)
Estimable Member

Dan,

I'm just noticing that no one gave you any kudos for this and you certainly earned some. I've been messing around with this since you first posted it. You did a fine job explaining the details and I've found it easy to make it sound recognizable!

I've also been experimenting playing this with all barre chords - that way I can just move one basic shape up and down the fretboard. I start with a slightly different E fingering - instead of index, middle, ring I use middle, ring, pinkie - like the F barre except no barre. Then I slide it all up to the fourth fret and drop my index across the third for my G, then up to 5 for A, back to F#m, A and finally B all played with one basic chord shape.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Steve! I'm glad you're enjoying the song. :D

Great idea for an alternate fingering for the main chord progression! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@danabis)
Trusted Member

awesome job here. i'm going to work on this today. thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"In case you missed it" - well, I completely missed this one Dan. Only found it when I was tidying up the index....although I think I remember trying this when you posted it, and giving it up as a bad job. Strange - it doesn't seem as tough as Pinball Wizard.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for posting this way back then - gonna have a real go at this over the weekend. Then again - there really aren't enough Who songs in the ESD, about time we had a few more....what d'you think?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Glad you're enjoying this one Vic, and yes, we need more Who! :twisted:

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@cheesehead54)
Trusted Member

Another great song and easy to play. I cranked this up and my grandkids were really getting into it. You guys are making me look good to the ones that matter too me. Thanks and keep them coming.

ReplyQuote
(@singingonline123)
Eminent Member

people will really enjoy if they can understand and they like what there doing.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

people will really enjoy if they can understand and they like what there doing.

What are you talking about? Your posts don't make sense.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

DanT,

after seeing the other post under Seek and Destroy me thinks he's messing with your head

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think you're right. Maybe Nick should put the smack-down on him. :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@bontempp)

Great guitar chords/tabs, eventhough I'm not a hardcore on guitar, I still try it

ReplyQuote
(@allenborder)

Hi Dan T.,
I read whole thing and i try it...
It sound awesome thanks for sharing...

ReplyQuote