If I Fell - Beatles

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For anyone who can play (or is working on) barre chords, here is a beautiful song full of minors and 7th chords. I first heard this Lennon song, and McCartney's "And I Love Her", on the "Something New" LP in America (and again on the Hard Day's Night Soundtrack). I remember thinking "love songs just don't get any better than this!"

I included the chord formations at the end of the song, so that the tab and chords can be printed on two open-faced pages.

Although open Em, and Em7 chords can be formed using different fingers, I "anchor" the index finger on the 4th string so that I can leave it there when changing over to an open A7 chord, and it helps in sliding it up to the 4th fret when going from an A7 to the D9 chord.

Speaking of the D9, you can also hit the "e" string if you want since you are also hitting an "e" in the 5th fret of the B string.

Finally, using a barre G chord before the Gm makes forming the latter easier by simply lifting the middle finger.

The rest is simply working on the barre chords. I couldn't play this a year ago. But with practice, I'm able to do a passable rendition now. An extremely rewarding song to play! If I can, anyone can!

If I Fell - The Beatles

Ebm
If I fell in love with you,
D
Would you promise to be true
C# Bbm
And help me understand?
Ebm
'Cause I've been in love before,
D
And I found that love was more
Em7 A7
Than just holding hands.

D Em F#m Em7
If I give my heart to you,
A7 D Em F#m
I must be sure from the ve-ry start
Em7 A7 D Gm A7*
That you would love me more than her.

D Em F#m
If I trust in you,
Em7 A7
Oh please, don't run and hide.
D Em F#m
If I love you too,
Em7 A7 D9
Oh please, don't hurt my pride like her.
G(bar)
Cause I couldn't stand the pain,
Gm D A7*
And I would be sad if our new love was in vain.

D Em F#m
So I hope you'll see
Em7 A7
That I would love to love you
D Em F#m Em7
And that she will cry
A7 D9
When she learns we are two
G(bar)
Cause I couldn't stand the pain,
Gm D A7*
And I would be sad if our new love was in vain.

D Em F#m
So I hope you'll see
Em7 A7
That I would love to love you
D Em F#m Em7
And that she will cry
A7 D
When she learns we are two
Gm D
If I fell in love with you

Gm D/A
e|--------3-----2---|
B|------3-------3---|
G|----3---------2---|
D|--5-----------0---|
A|--------------0---|
E|------------------|

Chords:

Ebm: x68876 or xx1343
imar

D: x57775 or xx0232

C#: x46664 or xx3121
rimi
Bbm: 113321
iirami

F#m: 244222
Gm: 355333
G: 355433 (barre where indicated)

D9: x5455x
mira

Em7: 022030
A7: x02020
A7*: x02223

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I remember thinking "love songs just don't get any better than this!"

+1 for sure! 8)

This is one of my favorite love songs of all time. I'll definately be working on this one this weekend. :)

Thanks shug! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Thanks for this one Doug,

My brother Rodders often trys to get me on board with this when we have our all to rare jam sessions. I must admit I struggle with it due to the barres. Now you have done this excellent post I will try harder to crack it.

The song brings back memories because when I bought the "Hard Days Night" album eons ago I almost wore it out playing the whole album on an almost daily basis. Even today I think John Lennon was at the top of his game with writing, playing and vocally in 1964. It can only have spurred Paul on all the more to equal John's output.

Good to see you back on here, all the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Shug, great tab.....I love this song, in fact it's one of my all time Beatle favourites. If I can make one small suggestion....

I can imagine a lot of beginners being put off by some of the barres, especially the D9.....an easy way to play that would be xx0210, especially following the A7 chord. Technically you'd have to call it a D9(no 3rd) as the F# note is missing for the voicing - but it sounds fine.

That's the way I do it, anyway!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the comments Dan, Chris & Vic . . . and thanks Vic for the alternative D9 form. I tried it and it works very nicely. Any and all suggestions are always welcome!

Chris, I also wore out the grooves on virtually all my Beatles LPs. Scratched them a lot too, trying to hear a particular song or a portion thereof over and again. Thank goodness for CDs!!! If we had CD's, the internet and GuitarNoise back in the day, I would certainly be a lot further along on my guitar journey than I am now!! Better late than never! :lol:

Shug (Doug)

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote