42 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 Bull
(@bull)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi-
I know there is a lesson on this web site, but this is nice because its fits on one page, and I added a simple strumming pattern if you don't want to pick notes.
Have fun- Bull
PS: you can use that Fmaj7 instead of a F also.

House Of The Rising Sun Tab by Animals

Am C D F
There is__ a__ house__ in New Orleans__
Am C E E7
They call___ the Ri__sing__ Sun__
Am C D F
And_ it's been__ the ruin__ of many-a_ poor_ boy__
Am E Am C D F Am E Am E7
and God___, I_ know___, I'm one__

Am C D F
My mo___ther__ was__ a tailor__
Am C E E7
Sewed____ my__ new blue jeans__
Am C D F
My fa___ther___ was___ a gam___bling__ man_
Am E Am C D F Am E Am E7
down__ in_ New___ Or_leans__

Am C D F
Now the on__ly____ thing____ a gam___bler needs_
Am C E E7
is a suit__case___ and____ a_ truck_
Am C D F
and the on__ly____ time___ he__ is_ satisfied__
Am E Am C D F Am E Am E7
is when__ he's all___ drunk__

Am C D F
Oh__ mo__ther__, tell your children___
Am C E E7
not_ to do___ what I__ have__ done__
Am C D F
spend____ your__ lives_ in sin_ and misery_
Am E Am C D F Am E Am E7
in the house__ of the Ri__sing_ Sun__

Am C D F
Well__, I've got one___ foot_ on___ the plat_form
Am C E E7
The o__ther foot on__ the train__
Am C D F
I'm go__ing__ back__ to New_ Or_leans__
Am E Am C D F Am E Am E7
to wear___ that ball___ and chain__

Am C D F
Well___ there is__ a house__ in New_ Or_leans__
Am C E E7
They call____ the Ri_sing Sun__
Am C D F
And it's been___ the ruin__ of many-a poor boy_
Am E Am C D F
and God__, I_ know__, I'm one__

Chords:
Am x02210 C x32010 D xx0232 F 133211 E 022100
E7 020100 Dm xx0231

RYTHM:/ /// / / | / /// / / | ETC.
BEATS:1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | ECT.

(@mig12)

I like it.

Easier than the regular version for non-finger-pickers.

AH MULES 8TH GRADE DISTRICT CHAMPS!

I (heart) my Fender.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another one outlawed in guitar shops!!!

I play this almost exactly the same, except for the second line where instead of two E chords, I make the 2nd one an E7.......

E A D G B E
0 2 0 1 0 0

I'ts just the way I was showed how to do it, and I've been playing it so long my fingers refuse to do it any other way!!!

Nice one, Bull.

:) :) :)

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Bull
(@bull)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I like that E7 also, sounds lower than a E, ties that second line up nicely. I will update the song for that- Thanks

I know they hate it in the music stores, but such a good song to learn how to sing and play at the same time. I am going through that nightmare now.

I guess I am getting old also, but I need a one-page song sheet to remember all the songs that I am trying to learn, and I hate turning a page (o- that's a good song also). I have a lot of them, but nobody keeping up the library. Nick, what's up with that? Is mark sick?

- Bull

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Bull,

could you explain your rhythm slashes. You play that for each chord? Are they played this way:

v v^v v v
1 2 3 4 5 6

ISn't this in 3/4 time?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you play the E7 with a doubled "D" - I use the 2nd string - it adds to the urgency

E 0
B 3
G 1
D 0
A 2
E 0

It's also a superb song if you play it reggae - and No cnev; the Animals' version of the song is in four with heavy use of triplets.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you play the E7 with a doubled "D" - I use the 2nd string - it adds to the urgency

E 0
B 3
G 1
D 0
A 2
E 0

Yes, that works too - now does anyone fancy having a go at the Frijid Pink version?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Bull
(@bull)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The timing on this song is 6/8- This means that there 6 beats to each measure, or each chord that you hold. And each “ / “ mark is an eight note.
But this is only a guide to get you into the rhythm. I like to do a full down stoke for the first stroke (hit those low notes) , then where you see the 3 “/” I pick notes (high ones), like in a little circle. And then two down strokes. I like to keep it simple, because I am also trying to sing at the same time. And I want to keep my strumming automatic so I don't have to think about what my hands are doing. This is a hard thing for me! Singing is a whole another thing to learn. It's that multi-tasking thing again.

But you can play it anyway you want. You can do country to acid rock. And any type of strumming. You got the guitar, make it sing to you. Play your head.

And I am going to keep the E7 that shown.
It's like an E chord with one less finger. And it like a power chord, and you will need to learn this someday. And this should be an easy song for beginners.
If you can play this song in under an hour, then you should get the sheet music for it. Nothing tells you better how to play than notes on a staff.

Thanks for the suggestion,
- Bull

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

OK, another late response from me. :oops:

I was learning this when I took lessons, as arpeggio. That's how the Animals did it, and it sounds fantastic. But I've heard others, including Joan Baez, do it as a 6/8 strum. It goes 1 2 3 4 5 6. I've tried it D D D D D D and D U D D U D. I think whatever strumming pattern you use, the accented beat (1 & 4) should always be down.

Another way is to do it finger style... pick the bass note of the chord, then the top 3 strings. Even though you for a regular Emaj, you only pick the low E, then the G b e strings. That pattern for each chord. Dmaj gets D as bass, then the G b e strings. It sounds good too.

Just different ways. It sounds pretty good these different ways.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

I tend to strum it in 6/8 too although the exact pattern seems to change from bar to bar :roll:
sometimes its 1 2 and 3 4 5 and 6
or 1 2 and 3 4 5 6
or 1 2 3 4 5 and 6
or even all downstrokes (usually on the F)

As you say, lotrs of ways to play this song

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Arpeggio is the future! Seriously, you all should know how the song goes. Pick bass note, rake the chord, then back pick the three highest strings. Its harder than straight strumming, but it sounds much better for it. This adds to the enthusiasm for learning the song, and why learn it another way when it sounds so good and is so easy the right way :)

ReplyQuote
(@rickumali)

This song was discussed on NPR a few days ago, and I was pretty happy to find it here! The progression is very nicely done here, and I was able to figure out the picking pattern as described in the last few posts. Awesome!

Rick Umali / WWW

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member

It's an easy song to learn "picken", even for a non picker like me. Really makes practicing more fun.

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

ReplyQuote
(@bluesy)
Eminent Member

Arpeggio is the future! Seriously, you all should know how the song goes. Pick bass note, rake the chord, then back pick the three highest strings. Its harder than straight strumming, but it sounds much better for it. This adds to the enthusiasm for learning the song, and why learn it another way when it sounds so good and is so easy the right way :)
Could someone explain this to a total newb like myself? It doesn't sound right when I try to play it in the manner I think its describing...by rake the chord should I be playing the full chord?

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Could someone explain this to a total newb like myself? It doesn't sound right when I try to play it in the manner I think its describing...by rake the chord should I be playing the full chord?

If I understand what he's saying, it's how I'm trying to learn to do it also (I can strum it nicely, though):

Raking the chord is not a solid strum, but you're not picking each string either. You run the pick from the lowest to the highest string in a "sweep" or... well... a rake. Then you pick the e b G strings. If I am correct, it's the way the Animals did it.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3