Your top three tips for beginner guitarists

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lincon)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,,
Rules:

3 tips only. I appreciate you will have many more.

Beginner guitarist = someone who has up to one or two years of guitaring under their belt. This is arbitrary, I admit it. Arguing over this detail is missing the point. Please don't or I will fling poo at you.

no wrong answers, just be honest and try not to fight. I mean it's not like we're a hate sub or anything (lol).

For the record, while I am shite at guitar I am not looking for these tips for myself. For some reason I find this topic interesting. Helping newbies is probably my favourite activity on this sub.

My tips:

Learn the major and minor scales as soon as possible.

Practice with a metronome. Slow and perfect.

Practice as regularly as possible. 30 minutes a day is better than 3 hour weekend binge.

(@alangreen)

Don't try to run before you can walk

Never play anything you don't like

Always do the homework your tutor sets you

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rockyroad)

First (and the most important) - don’t be surprised if your fingers start to hurt in the first few days. A bit of perseverance and it will pass as those fingers harden a bit :mrgreen:

Second - concentrate on trying to do things properly and well and it will serve you in the long term.

Third - most of all, enjoy yourself. Practice every day and remember it's a marathon not a sprint.

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.” ― Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote