Skip to content
What kind of electr...

Notifications
Clear all

What kind of electric guitar should I get?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@creepybeaver)
Topic starter  

Based on the research i've done I think a stratocaster or Les Paul would be suitable for me, but I'm a complete noob so i'd appreciate some advice, I like dark pop, alternative rock etc. Here are some examples off the top of my head, just to name a few -
Alabaster - Foals
Home - Daughter
Under The Water - AURORA
Spanish Sahara - Foals
London Thunder - Foals
Lucky - AURORA
Murder Song (studio version) - AURORA
Smother - Daughter
Alleyways - The Neighbourhood

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Are you looking for style, or brand ideas? What kind of a budget are you working with? In my opinion its not that guitar that makes the song sound how it does, its the player, so I would recommend that you get out to a few music stores, and pick up, and play a few different ones. Get one that makes you happy... that feels good in your hands. How it feels, and plays is more important then the style, and pickup setup IMHO.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

Whoa, slow down there, ranger! In my opinion, the terms "noob," "Les Paul" and "Stratocaster" are mutually exclusive. OK, if you've got the money go right ahead (or if you're feeling generous, I'll send you MY wish list!), but as s1120 said, it isn't the guitar that makes the player.

As a complete noob, no Les Paul, Stratocaster, Telecaster, PRS SE, ESP LTD, etc., is going to turn you overnight into Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stevie Vai, Eric Johnson, or any of the other names you have on your pedestal Heck, I've been a guitar player for 50 years and don't sound like any of these guys.

In my case, I no longer want to sound like them. I just want to sound like me. But I digress...

As I mentioned to another poster, if you want an electric guitar, get the one that "fits" you best. By that, I mean it isn't too heavy (Les Pauls are notoriously heavy, unless you get the weight-relieved type, but then your sound quality might suffer). You should go to a guitar shop and play a LOT of guitars. Find the neck style that fits your fingers. Find a neck wood and width that supports the kind of playing you want to do. Power chords? Blazing leads? Fingerstyle-and-comping? Not every guitar is suited for every style of play.

And then, one day, when you've got your chops, earned through sweat, callouses, and hours spent on your "beater guitar," head on back to the store and put down the money on the TRUE guitar. And by then, you'll know exactly what meets your needs.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@ryuking)

I recommend a Les Paul for anything really. There a lot of things you can do really with a Les Paul. If I could choose a new guitar I would get another Jackson. I have a more in depth page on my website but I don't want to shamelessly plug it.

Best Electric Guitars for Beginners

ReplyQuote