Clear all

want to buy a new guitar need help

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@alexandrefenot)
Topic starter  

hi everybody
i ve been played for 2 years and my first guitar was a squier strat. this time i want to go real so should i buy a fender tele modern or epi les paul standard .... or should i buy the tele and wait to have more money to buy a real gibson les paul studio
thanks for your help

oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

Wow, that's a pretty hard (and loaded!) set of questions to answer.

I have neither of the guitars you're interested in, but I like them both. How I respond is thus (and since it's a forum, the advice is free, and worth what you paid for it):

1) It depends on the sound you want to achieve. The Telecaster has some very strong "signature sound" players, such as Roy Buchanan, James Burton, Albert Collins, and Danny Gatton (who I had the pleasure of seeing play before he died). Ringing tones, smooth, silky effects and some biting, crunching raunch can be made with a Tele. The Les Paul (both Gibson and sister company Epihone) make some legendary guitars. Their tones tend to be warmer than a Strat's, for example, mostly due to the two humbuckers (there are some rare three-pickup LPs) as opposed to the Strat's three single-coil layout. Of course, now Strats can be had with all sorts of pickup combinations, so the distinction isn't quite the same.

2) It depends on which guitar feels best to you. Some Les Pauls are heavier than others, and some players are uncomfortable with them. There are "weight-relieved" Les Pauls that Gibson makes that address this, but I don't think Epiphone offers weight-relieved LPs. Try several at your local music shop. Often, a guitar will just "speak" to you, making the choice an obvious one.

3) It depends on how much money you have/want to spend. Epiphone Les Pauls can be had for as little as US$349. A Squier (by Fender) Telecaster can cost as little as $249. A Fender Telecaster Modern runs about $500. So, if the money makes a difference, that can tip the scales, also.

Please note that each of my responses begins with "It depends..." In the long run, your decision might rely on other factors, such as color, availability, or "coolness." It depends...

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@ryuking)

Still don't know which guitar to buy?

Best Electric Guitars for Beginners

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Sadly no one can answer that for you. There really is a lot of things different between those two, and neither is wrong. As for "going real" you really need to think of who your trying to impress. Ive played some "real" guitars that were vary hum drum, and some lesser brands that were real nice. It really depends on the guitar, and yourself. I started on a MIM strat, and it was nice... but it really never felt good to me. I got a epi LP, and knew from the second I picked it up that I needed to buy it!! It just felt good. ive also played a top end Gibson LP, and a lower studio, and loved the lower end studio... Its really what you like. Also after you find one, spend a little money and get a setup on it. It is worth the cash.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@reekhavoc)

What s1120 said. As you play and grow in knowledge that little magic thing deep inside that caused you to want to play to start with will speak up every time without fail, wether you listen to it or not depends on you. I've spent alot of money on guitars, alot, in the last 50 years and I don't regret one penny of it. There is something you like about each of these guitars, my opinion is decide what you like best between the two and that decision will guide you.

I was born when I was very young so I don't know everything about anything.

ReplyQuote
(@ryuking)

I would get a fender HH and then have both tones available to me. Humbucker and Single coil :lol:

Best Electric Guitars for Beginners

ReplyQuote
(@mccoy2015)

This two guitars you have mention are both great... it will be hard to choose if you don't have a category to follow on choosing the right guitar.

First... What type of a guitar player are you or want to be.. and the genre of music your going to play... coz this guitars uses different pick ups and it would sound very different...

If your into Rock, Blues, Pop, Jazz...and you want that southern twang sound on a guitar... fender strat is the obvious choice...

but if your into Metal, Heavy Metal, Rock, Hard Rock, Blues, humbucker pick ups has a more crunchier fatter sound than a single coil pick ups... Gibson Les Paul will be the right choice...

http://www.constantinecruz.com/best-electric-guitar-brands/

For beginners:

http://www.constantinecruz.com/top-10-electric-guitar-packs-amazon-best-sellers/

Hope this help the search. Goodluck!

ReplyQuote
(@waylon)
Trusted Member

You can try vintage instead of epi.
https://musicsquare.co.uk/125432_Vintage-V100MRCS-electric-guitar.html
But...i don't know. I would choose tele,like this
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCV50BB

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

What style of music do you like to play?

What artist's sound do you like?

It might be worth coming up with a list of guitar sounds you liked and finding out what they played on the recording.

I did this with amps and found out It was a peavey 5150 almost every time. Then I did it for guitars and now I own a yamaha electric guitar. If you had asked me what I was looking for I NEVER woulda said peavey amps and yamaha guitars. But LORD am I happy with my sound!

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote