Clear all

vibration/rattling sound from strings

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
56.1 K Views
(@swy81)
Topic starter  

I'm a newbie to guitars so, any advice would be much appreciated.

I finally received my guitar and I've been trying to tune the strings. The thing is no matter how much I tighten the guitar, there is always a vibrating sound when I strum the strings.

For example: I'll strum a string and then a couple seconds later, there will be vibration/rattling coming from the strings.

The strings came loose in the beginning when my guitar arrived to my house. But, no matter how much I tighten it, there is still rattling coming from the strings when strummed.

Perhaps something is misaligned or not setup correctly? Should I have a professional guitar tech look at it?

Thanks! :)

(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Sounds like the strings might be coming in contact with the frets when you pluck them- a common problem, indicating the action (i.e., height of strings above the fretboard) might be too low. Abnother cause may be a neck that is not perfectly straight. Hold the string down at one of the high frets, where the neck joins the body- and check the spacing between the string and the frets. It should be the same all the way down. If not, it will need to be straightened.

What do you mean by tightening the guitar? Are you referring the truss rod? That's something not to fool with unless you at least somewhat know what you are doing. Tightening it too much could cause damage.

If you know anyone who is a more experienced player, have them take a look at the neck. If it's out of alighment, then a professional setup might be the thing to do.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@swy81)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input.

Meant to say, I'm tightening the string as in the head of the guitar turning it slowly.

Just curious if this is normal or not as this is a brand new guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

electric or acoustic guitar?

sometimes when playing an electric unplugged you hear things that you don't when ampified.

do your strings seem loose after tuning?
are you tuning to the proper pitch?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@swy81)
Topic starter  

electric or acoustic guitar?

sometimes when playing an electric unplugged you hear things that you don't when ampified.

do your strings seem loose after tuning?
are you tuning to the proper pitch?

It's an electric guitar.

When I tighten the head of each string, it feels tight. However, the strings still feel a bit loose.

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

It's an electric guitar.

When I tighten the head of each string, it feels tight. However, the strings still feel a bit loose.
We can ask 100 questions and maybe never help you because you might not have the vocabulary to describe what's happening.

At some point you'll need to have someone who knows about guitars try it. Or maybe you can look closely yourself and figure it out.

If you aren't tuning it to pitch you'd get one set of problems.
If you are tuned to pitch and aren't fretting it and it buzzes, that's a different set of problems.
If you ARE fretting it and it buzzes it could be the same or additional problems.
If it's all the strings buzzing, that's a different situation than just one string buzzing.

Please help us help you by narrowing things down.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@swy81)
Topic starter  

It's an electric guitar.

We can ask 100 questions and maybe never help you because you might not have the vocabulary to describe what's happening.

At some point you'll need to have someone who knows about guitars try it. Or maybe you can look closely yourself and figure it out.

If you aren't tuning it to pitch you'd get one set of problems.
If you are tuned to pitch and aren't fretting it and it buzzes, that's a different set of problems.
If you ARE fretting it and it buzzes it could be the same or additional problems.
If it's all the strings buzzing, that's a different situation than just one string buzzing.

Please help us help you by narrowing things down.

The strings are pretty darn close to pitch. The thing is whether I strum the guitar open or by holding down a fret, it vibrates after a second or two.

I looked more closesly and it looks like the strings are rattling off between the 1st fret and the Nut.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Actually between the first fret and the nut is an odd place to buzz, in my (limited) experience.

Is this a buzz you're hearing through the amp, or only acoustically?

If it's not through the amp, I might recommend trying to forget about it, if all else works well. (If you don't hear it through the amp, who cares, and get playing!)

As has been said, there are a LOT of things that can buzz on a guitar. To get an answer online, you'll have to post a LOT of details, and people will still only be guessing. Do you have an experienced friend who could have a look?

Best,
Ande.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This might help:

Chasing the mystery buzz

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Sail closer to the edge, matey!

Use lighter strings, light pick, really light touch. The best setups WILL buzz if you get too animal on it!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@lucky229)

I have a question concerning the rattling of my guitar strings. I have a Fender acoustic guitar and mostly every time I put my capo on one of the frets the fifth and sixth string buzz. What can I do to fix it? I have tried tuning the strings multiple times. Do I have to tune when the capo is on?

ReplyQuote
(@rsears1957yahoo-com)

take it to a luthier (repair guy) and let him do a full set up on it. It will be singing in no time

ReplyQuote
(@waylon)
Trusted Member

I think You need lighter strings, like these
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/erbanislelgu.html
https://musicsquare.co.uk/111009_Rotosound-R-9-Roto-Pinks-electric-guitar-strings-942.html
If that don't help, go to luthier. My guitar is buzzing as well, but only when I play unplugged. With amp it sound just fine.

ReplyQuote