Clear all

Travel Guitar or Not

34 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My job is requiring me to travel 5 days a month for this next year. I have been playing for 2 years and making real good progress and do not want to start taking steps backwards. Everything I read says that to improve you have to have consistent practice everyday. Will this 5 days of travel be an issue? I have been thinking about purchasing a travel guitar or a shred neck would this be a good thing to do. My other option was to study theory those 5 days. Any thoughts what would you guys do in the situation?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can only speak from my own perspective, which is; I will never go away again, not even for a single night, without taking a guitar. Maybe I'm obsessed, but I really don't care - what I do know is, if I don't have a guitar close to hand I'm miserable.

A couple of years or so back, I came into some money; straight away, booked a weekend break in Amsterdam. Plenty to see and do in Amsterdam, right? Well - maybe. All I know is, I didn't have a guitar with me. I did have a laptop, and kept checking into GN which held the cravings at bay.

Anyway, a few weeks later, we went for a week in Spain. This time, the guitar was the first item to be packed. As luck would have it, the hotel had an enormous bar, so the first night there we stayed in and I brought the guitar down. Just a few friends sat round a quiet table. People then started wandering back in and asking for songs - I had a few drinks bought for me that night! Later in the week, I got to play along with the hotel pianist - that was fun.

Next holiday was three weeks in Texas - this time I took two guitars....well actually, I took an electric, and took delivery of an acoustic I bought off Nick whilst there. Played my first ever open mic with it, as well.

So by the law of escalating obsession, I'm about due for a holiday - this time I'll have to take THREE guitars - that'll be fun!

OK, seriously, 5 days a month away from home isn't a lot - you might want to see how it goes, first time out. You might not be in the mood for guitar while you're away - but I'll bet you are when you get back home! You might find a break does you good....

My advice, for what it's worth, is to NOT take a guitar first time - but if you feel you can't do without one, or you're missing it or obsessing over it too much, then go out and spend your hard-earned readies on a travel guitar, if taking your normal guitar's not an option.

It also depends on whether you're driving or flying. You might consider taking a guitar on a plane too much of a hassle - I do know I would NEVER take a guitar on a plane again without a GOOD hardcase. Baggage handlers don't give a toss how much a guitar cost, or if an item's marked fragile - they'll launch it 30 ft across the cargo hold at maximum velocity anyway. If you're driving, on the other hand, a guitar in a soft case on the back seat isn't going to come to much harm, although I think I'd have mine in the front seat with the safety belt on......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd be a little worried about a travel guitar, as in one of those odd shaped mini acoustic jobs. They still make noise and might anger hotel neighbors? I dunno. something to consider. I've taken an electric and one of those multi-effects boxes with me a couple of times. Both were shorter trips though.

I'm with Vic though. 5 days isn't a lot unless you're talking about all 5 of those days being in one trip. Then, yeah. Gotta do something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

If you are buying a travel guitar do try it first. Its the only guitar I've bought one off line and I didn't like it from the moment I first tried it. It, it was really difficult to balance even when wearing a strap. I take my regular electric and boss micro when I go away now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

now I need a guitar with wheels.

a small 3/4 size acoustic isn't too bad.possibly a carry on size if you fly.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm with Vic though. 5 days isn't a lot unless you're talking about all 5 of those days being in one trip. Then, yeah. Gotta do something.

Yes it will be a M-F trip once a month and I will be flying.

I have looked a the travel guitar speedster wich is a small electric. 24 3/4 scale.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For some reason, I never thought of a small electric - but that could go on as hand luggage. Stick a Micro Cube in your case and a set of headphones and you're laughing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just tried a Washurn Rover travel guitar. Its a small acoustic. It wasn't bad the case was probably just a little larger than a violin case.

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Just tried a Washurn Rover travel guitar. Its a small acoustic. It wasn't bad the case was probably just a little larger than a violin case.

I got one of these for my birthday last month. Once you get used to the unusual body shape it plays not too shabbily. Not exactly the richest guitar tone you're going to encounter but its not exactly a dreadnought :mrgreen: Mine came with some sort of strange string gauge and improved no end when I strung it with a decent set of 10's
The supplied case is excellent quality, I have no hesitation chucking it in the car boot (Thats a trunk to you Americans out there :mrgreen: ) with my other bags.

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Have you flown with your Rover? Does it fit in overhead compartments nicely? From the size of the case it looks like it would but hard to tell with out an overhead compartment to test it agains :)

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

My son has a Squire Mini-Strat. Very nice. I also have an Art and Lutherie Ami for traveling and camping trips.

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Have you flown with your Rover? Does it fit in overhead compartments nicely? From the size of the case it looks like it would but hard to tell with out an overhead compartment to test it agains :)
It would probably fit but its larger than regulation 'carry on' baggage here in the UK. I suspect that US guidelines may be more forgiving.

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If you dare to look beyond the guitar world, there are many small yet equally challenging and fun to play instruments.

So, there is Ukulele which you can easily carry in your piggy bag or simply hold it just like that. Infact, right now I am trying to find an Uke in my area.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Absolutely take Vic's advice and do the first trip with no guitar. Will be a good test. If you are like most, you'll find ways to justify buying the travel guitar or something else and bring it. Last time I traveled, I went down to the coffee shop each night and played outside. Made myself $1.75. :lol:

Also, beware of strangers. This guy sat next to me and asked if he could try my guitar..."Sure, no prob, here ya go." The guy would not give it back so easily and started rubbing the side of his head with the back of his wrist. :shock: Needless to say, I kept to myself after that.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

I posted this not too long ago on flying with a guitar:

Flying with a Guitar

Like you, I travel a good bit for business and this solution has been effective and didn't cost a great deal of money.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3