Notifications
Clear all

Transitioning from open chords to barre chords

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@marlow122)
Topic starter  

Hello, I’m new here, and fairly new to guitar as well. I’m working on mastering barre chords, but I’m having trouble transitioning from open chords to barre chords quickly and efficiently. I’m getting discouraged because I’ve been working on them for months and my transitions are still pretty sloppy. I was wondering if anyone had any exercises or tips to help me out. I’m bored with just playing songs that consist of open chords and I'm trying to challenge myself but I can’t seem to get my fingers into position fast enough to make the songs that I’m playing sound good when confronted with a barre chord. Any advice would be much appreciated!

(@alangreen)

What I say to my students is to go for the change ahead of time, so that the new chord can be in place when it's needed. This gets them moving their hands during the final beat of the previous chord.

Your audience won't know (or care) if it's G to Em or Abmaj9 into an Ebmaj7; what they will know without being told is that the harmony change "sounded like it" came in at the right time - and that's your job done

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@marlow122)
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for the advice. I practice for about an hour to 2 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week, and I devote about 30 minutes a day to just barre chords. Are they always going to be this difficult or do they get easier and become muscle memory like open chords did?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It does get easier in time

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote