The dreaded barred chords...

37 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@takamineprincess)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How do you do them?!?! :lol: :lol:

lol, Okay so I know the short answer to my question is practice, but seriously my fingers are killing me. I am mostly just trying to learn F right now.... but even the times it sounds good I can't switch chords fast enough... please tell me it gets easier!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, it gets easier :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

There is different voicings you could try as well. Sometimes they sound better than the barre chords in some songs.

For example, rathe than playing 1-3-3-2-1-1 for f you could play x-0-3-2-1-0, similar to a C just with two of your fingers a string higher.

Keep working on those barre's as well as the different voicings though, i still haven't mastered the barre yet.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There is different voicings you could try as well. Sometimes they sound better than the barre chords in some songs.

For example, rathe than playing 1-3-3-2-1-1 for f you could play x-0-3-2-1-0, similar to a C just with two of your fingers a string higher.

That's not a different voicing - it's a different chord! The first is F-C-F-A-C-F (F major), the second is A-F-A-C-E (Fmaj7).

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

That's not a different voicing - it's a different chord! The first is F-C-F-A-C-F (F major), the second is A-F-A-C-E (Fmaj7).

I stand corrected, my worship leader explained it to me as a different voicing. Still, am i right in believing it is an adaquate replacement so you can play fluidly whilst learning barre chords?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

It gets a lot easier. Trust me, it just takes time. Maybe try moving the barre chord around a bit...that helped me improve a lot. For example try just shifting positions 1st fret to 5th fret (F to A)...it may help a lot with getting your fingers stronger and "teaching them" how to fret the chords, all while learning how to change positions! :)

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

It gets easier when you've developed the muscles to do it well.

Hands don't automatically have all the strength needed so you have to build up to it.
Think of it as weightlifting for little tiny muscles in your hands. It takes repetitions and recovery time. Just like doing pullups or pumping iron.

Practice regularly but expect it to take some time. (weeks rather than hours)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I learned Barre chords first, as a sax player doubling on guitar in rock and roll bands (some songs just don't have the good sense to have a sax part).

It's the "cowboy chords" that drive me up a wall. Oh, I'll use them on those songs where they are necessary, but if there is a choice, I'll go for move-able chords first. (move-able - is that a word? - My spell-check says so).

My thumb used to kill me when playing barre chords, until I learned that it isn't about strength as much as it is about finger placement. You don't need the grip of death to play them, you just need to have your hands in the right position. Granted, F is harder because it is closer to the nut, so you might want to practice on G and A first until your hand gets more comfortable.

I learned the lighter grip without realizing it. It just comes with time.

Now I have no problem with them at all, and for most of the music I play, I prefer to use barre and other move-able chords. (there we go, spell check correcting moveable to move-able again).

So just keep at it, with practice your fingers will feel the proper position and you will be able to relax your grip.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I suppose I was lucky when it came to learning barre chords.....back when I got my first guitar, I also got two Beatles albums the same Xmas...62-66 and 67-70. Decided I was going to learn all of them, so I bought a Beatles songbook - complete with chord shapes. One of the first chords I came across was an Eb played xx1343 - basically, a D chord played a fret higher. Then I came across a Gm played at the 3rd fret which changed to a C played in the open position - and thought to myself, it might be easier if I played the C chord at the third fret as well. Some songs I'd transpose to an easier key - but for a lot of them, I couldn't actually find an easier key, so I tried to learn them as written, but started experimenting with barre chord shapes instead of the open chord positions.

I virtually worked out the barre chords from scratch - "hey, if this is an E - 022100 - and this is an F - 133211 - then if I move it up another couple of frets, it'll be a G chord .... 355433...won't it?" and I've used them ever since. I'm just glad no-one told me they were difficult!!!

But, like everything else guitar-related, the dreaded P-word comes into it....PRACTICE!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

am i right in believing it is an adaquate replacement so you can play fluidly whilst learning barre chords?

Sometimes - it depends on the chord's function in the progression. You can use it in the key of F or C without much trouble (most of the time), but it'll sound a bit off if you're in the key of Bb.

ReplyQuote
(@faultythinking)
Eminent Member

I practised the E-shape barre chords using the little progression in the tune I posted about here:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45271

I'm still not great at them, but I think it helped.

FT
I think I can rock and roll
Probably just twisting...

ReplyQuote
(@old-lefty)
Trusted Member

I have to admit it seemed like i was never going to progress but I finally was able to play the one barre chord in Maggie May the other day........I can't play it fast enough to keep pace with the song but I'm just stoked to be able to let it ring out. But it's taken a long time of just moving up and down the frets trying to pin down all the strings, seems like forever. So there's hope!

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

You can do FACF ( F Major ) by just doing a little bare with your index finger and instead of playing x-x-3-2-1-0 you play x-x-3-2-1-1

Which is another voicing ^^

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The F barre chord is probably the hardest one. You are closer to the nut so the strings are hard to push down and the frets are as far apart as they get. Try another position on the neck to get practiced up. Thats the beauty of a barre chord, each fret you move up on the neck is another chord. F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now!

And as Vic knows only to well, I had real trouble with barre chords. I still do!! It's a love hate relationship with me and the dreaded barre chords. At home in the seclusion of the practice room I can form them quite well and switch between open chords to barres without too much trouble now.

At open mics on wednesday night it's a different kettle of fish. If there's a barre chord in a song, I'll cock it up at some stage in the song, I'll kill the strings all together or produce a sound that's nothing like what's expected. I look down and my fingers are all over the place! In fact one song I love, Neil Young's "Out On The Weekend" is now dubbed with a new title by me as:

"B minor Please Be Mine Tonight".

I say this under my breath before starting the song and many times I've failed and ruined my attempts at Bm. I can actually feel myself tensing up as I play when the moment for the dreaded barre chord fretting position approaches.

I still keep putting myself through this torture each week and you never know maybe! just maybe! "B minor will be mine tonight"!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3