Clear all

Strumming with plectrums

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@scutman7)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone
I have been playing guitar for about 16 months, and I'm fairly proficient now, however I still have problems strumming with a plectrum, it seems to catch, especially on the up stroke. I much prefer to play without, but the sound is more muffled, has anyone any suggestions as to improve to the sound, I have tried to play with the back of the fingers, on the nails, but doesn't seem to work.
Thanks

(@subparguitar)

I've learned to love the sound of playing with my fingers/nails. You could try growing out your nails a little bit, particularly on the pointer finger, and even use a polish to strengthen the sound and give a smoother feel. I've never done it myself, but a few friends have done it and love it, plus who doesn't want shiny nails.

There are still certain songs that really require a plectrum, either for the harsher sound or the precision, but I do think it is a matter of preference.

Another thing I do sometimes is try to play with one of the more rounded edges of a pick. It makes it catch less and can be easier on the up stroke.

ReplyQuote
(@thelaughingbard)

I know what you mean about string-catching. Recently I've started strumming a lot less full on and this helps, i.e. not hitting the strings so hard. Also, what pick thickness do you use? Maybe it would help if you used a lighter plectrum.

Nowadays I only get string catching when I'm drunk.

One bard on a quest for musical enlightenment.
thelaughingbard.com

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I use a super thin...it's too bendy to catch on anything you want to pick...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I suspect that you're showing too much of the pick to the string. You only need to catch the string with the very tip of the pick, no more than 1/16th of an inch.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The only time I've used a plec for about 3-4 years or so was a couple of months back; I cut my right index (strumming hand) finger rather badly, couldn't play for a couple of weeks. When I did start again, the finger was still very tender so I thought if I used a plectrum, it would (a) make strumming easier and (b) cover the tender spot. Problem was, I couldn't find a plec anywhere....ended up cutting one out of an old store card! Had a d'oh moment a couple of weeks later - opened a three - pack of strings to put a new set on the electric, and found 10 free plecs inside....this time I'll keep 'em for emergencies!

Anyway, finger's better now - back to normal strumming. Which means NO plec. The golden rule for me....keep the index finger-nail just long enough to strum with. It should barely be visible over the back of your finger. If you can bend the nail easily with your thumb, it's too long; file it down. I do hold my finger and thumb together as if I'm holding a plec, though....that way, the thumb nail shares the work load with the index nail, the thumb does the upstrokes, the index finger the downstrokes. It's also good strumming practice to move your arm as little as possible....ideally, only your wrist should move, your elbow should be static. Unless, of course, you're Pete Townshend...... :lol:

The big advantage of playing without a plec is, it makes it so much easier to switch from fingerpicking to strumming; think of Boston's "More Than A Feeling," picked for the verses, strummed for the choruses. If you're using a plec, you're using your thumb and index for the bass notes, and you only have two fingers spare for the treble notes; if you're not using a plec, you've got your thumb to cover the E A and D strings, and one finger for each of the G B and E strings.

Oh, and did I mention I hate "pick/plec noise?" No? Well, I hate pick noise.....that clicky, rattly, trebly extraneous noise almost seems to drown out the chords/notes to me...it's not music to MY ears!

(ENTERING FULL-ON NIT-PICKY PEDANTIC MODE......) BTW, the plural of plectrum is "PLECTRA," not "plectrums...." (EXITING FULL-ON NIT-PICKY PEDANTIC MODE......)

Best of luck, whether you decide to ditch the plecs or stick with 'em! For me, best thing I ever did....apart from join Guitarnoise.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

Using a pick can be challenging if you are not used to it. Tips that I give my students include using a very thin pick. This will allow for more flexibility and the pick wont get hung up on the strings. Dont choke up on the pick either. allow a fair amount of pick to show when strumming. Only choke up on it for single notes. The biggest thing is to relax when strumming. Dont dig in to the strings. Brush them. Think of the pick as a paint brush. Glide over the strings.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Using a pick can be challenging if you are not used to it. Tips that I give my students include using a very thin pick. This will allow for more flexibility and the pick wont get hung up on the strings. Dont choke up on the pick either. allow a fair amount of pick to show when strumming. Only choke up on it for single notes. The biggest thing is to relax when strumming. Dont dig in to the strings. Brush them. Think of the pick as a paint brush. Glide over the strings.

I agree with this. My strumming improved immeasurably when I changed to a very flexible .46mm pick.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

All these posters with their thin picks make it sound like you can't strum with a heavy one and that isn't the case . You need to angle the pick to the strings so that on a downstroke the pick is angled up and on an upstroke the pick is angled down . Think of the way a paintbrush goes across a wall and you get the idea . The elbow should move very little and the wrist should swing back and forth with a somewhat quick flicking motion .

Kind of like this : >>>> /...... (downstroke) ...... <<<< (upstroke) . The arrows show the pick direction .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I'm sure skilled players can strum fast and well with just about anything. Some even use metal picks. I have no issue with that.

For myself however, when I was a complete beginner, switching to a flexible pick helped a great deal.

I play bass in a punk band. Both our guitarists play with very thin picks to facilitate a quick strum.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@tstrahle)
Eminent Member

I use my fingers, picks and hybrid. Even occasionally use fingerpicks and thumb picks, in fact I did today when playing banjo on a session.

Generally when playing electric I use a Dunlop Derlin 1.5mm for electric. I grip it in two ways, one for rhythm and one for lead. When playing rhythm I hold the pick loosely and expose as much as half the length of the pick, giving it the flexibility of a thinner pick. When playing lead I choke down on the pick exposing only the very tip of it and hold it very tight. Mainly for a lack of flexibility that facilitates speed.

When playing acoustic I use many different picks. I will bring a dozen or more picks to each session, Dunlop pick, Wegen picks, picks made of stone, of metal, of coconut even, to achieve the desired tone for the track. My main goto pick is a Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm that offers more flexibility than my electric choice, but the thinner ones .88mm and .73mm and lower will provide the give you need to prevent the grabbing.

Tom Strahle
http://proguitarsecrets.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tstrahle

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

tstrahle that is how my instructor showed me. I normally use a 1 mm or slightly thicker pick and my instructor always used something like 1.5 and higher and told me the exact same thing you described, when you play rhythm you have to loosen up onthe grip.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Best of luck, whether you decide to ditch the plecs or stick with 'em! For me, best thing I ever did....apart from join Guitarnoise.....

:D :D :D

Vic

Ditto that!!

I tryed for 4 years to get the hang of using one of those things. Went from thick, thin, big, small, whatever... My biggest thing was the thing moving around on me... and ya, I used the textured ones also... Now I dont fight it, and use my fingers... Insted of fighting, now Im learning!!

Im sure as time goes on, there will be sometimes that I will want to, and after the skills build up more, Im sure I could work with it... but for now im happy. Plus.... I have YET to forget to bring a finger with me when I go out somewere.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@honeyboy)
Estimable Member

I think finding the right pick is a big part of using a plectrum. Some like small. Some like big. Some like rounded. And some like pointy.

So you may have to go on a search for the right pick until you find one that feels right for you. And over time you will just get more comfortable.

I know love to play my acoustic with my fingers. I hardly ever use a pick. If I want to strum I use the nail on my pointing finger as the hard part that makes the sound. I hold my thumb and pointer just as if I had a pick in there but instead of hitting the strings with the pick I use the nail on my pointer. Sounds a bit crazy but it's an easy move from using a pick and I can get a softer sound and then be ready to use my fingers when I'm ready. I'm not explaining it very well but try it and you'll see. I'll make a video and put it on my Blues Guitar Insider site when I get a chance.

Rick Honeyboy Hart

"It's about tone, taste, and technique... in that order."

http://www.bluesguitarinsider.com
http://www.rickhoneyboyhart.com

ReplyQuote