Clear all

Strap problems....

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have this strange (or maybe not so strange) issue when I stand with my guitar and strap. After so long the weight of the guitar beings to get very heavy on my left shoulder and even still after i take it off I can feel the pain all in my shoulder and upper back...I was thinking it may have been because the guitar was hanging to low on the strap but I have no idea. Is this a normal thing?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

When you sit down and play with the guitar resting in your lap do you get the pain after? If not then try to adjust the strap so it holds the guitar at the same height when you stand.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have this strange (or maybe not so strange) issue when I stand with my guitar and strap. After so long the weight of the guitar beings to get very heavy on my left shoulder and even still after i take it off I can feel the pain all in my shoulder and upper back...I was thinking it may have been because the guitar was hanging to low on the strap but I have no idea. Is this a normal thing?

No, you shouldn't have that much pain from playing your guitar. I agree with Nils, adjust the strap so that the guitar doesn't hang so low, (I know it looks cool hung low! 8) ), and see if that helps. I have a Strat, and a Les Paul, and the Les Paul is definately heavier, and you can start to feel it after awhile, but it's not as bad as you describe. Keep making adjustments until you find a comfortable spot. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

I took the velcroed padding off the seat belt strap out of my Chevys passenger side and rap it around the strap.When you start getting sore use a stool,I don't wait until it hurts.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Some of those guitars are pretty heavy... might be time to find something lighter that still sounds right to you.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@aluciano)

I realize that the post is quite old now, but I decided to share this anyhow. Guitar weight is a factor that is usually overlooked among beginners or young guys. Only few guitar makes list that info in their site. The guitar weight is crucial for those mid-older adults (like myself) who have back pain of some sort. Another factor is how one sits while playing. Those two factors complement one another for the people I mentioned, or for those who want to avoid this painful back pain in the future.
Some of the lighter guitars I encountred that are less than 7lb are: Parker Fly (very expensive though but some weight around 5 lb), Michael Kelly Pagtriot Special (6.5lb) that I own, Hagstrom Ultra Swede (7lb or 3.2 kg), and the PRS SE models. Surprisingly enough, that arch topguitar or semi-arch guitars are NOT very light. They can go over 7lb same as Fender Strat or similar.
Manufacturing claim that lighter guitars don't sound well.
I hope that helps a bit in this thread
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

there are some good straps out there that are wider and having padding on them that can help alleviate some of the weight and pressure. The key is wide and padded. Take a look around your local guitar shops.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote