Clear all

Sound check explanation for beginner

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sengret)
Topic starter  

Hello all instrument-brothers :D

Soon I'm going to play first live jam with my band, and of course, there's sound check which is waiting for us :D
As a guitarist, I don't really know what should I do there :lol:
My rig is my guitar, processor and amp. Can someone explain to me how it goes when I come with all that stuff on stage?

Second question, I own Laney Prism P20 amp, 20 watts. Is it enough for small audiences, like 100-200 people max?

I hope my questions aren't too much wide, but I don't know any guitarist who could explain me something about these things.
Thank you all in advance :)

(@alangreen)

Pretty simple really - the sound engineer will twiddle knobs and sliders on the desk to make sure everybody can be heard properly and isn't too loud. The sound engineer for the Big Band I play with has it all on a screen - he walks around listening, slides and twiddles the controls on screen and those settings transmit wirelessly to the desk.

Do as the sound guy says - do EXACTLY as he says. If he tells you to shut up, then make sure you shut up before he's finished saying it

Do not upset the sound guy - he can make you sound awful, or he can make you sound like you're not even playing. Buy him a beer and get him onside.

20 watts is small for a 100-person gig so your sound engineer will probably mic you through the PA. He knows what he's doing so let him get the job done

Enjoy your gig

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sengret)
Topic starter  

Pretty simple really - the sound engineer will twiddle knobs and sliders on the desk to make sure everybody can be heard properly and isn't too loud. The sound engineer for the Big Band I play with has it all on a screen - he walks around listening, slides and twiddles the controls on screen and those settings transmit wirelessly to the desk.

Do as the sound guy says - do EXACTLY as he says. If he tells you to shut up, then make sure you shut up before he's finished saying it

Do not upset the sound guy - he can make you sound awful, or he can make you sound like you're not even playing. Buy him a beer and get him onside.

20 watts is small for a 100-person gig so your sound engineer will probably mic you through the PA. He knows what he's doing so let him get the job done

Enjoy your gig

Thank you a lot!
So, what should I play on sound checkm Rhythm, solo, distortion, clean, some other effect...

ReplyQuote