Clear all

Sitting or standing?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@starrk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Should I be spending my time sitting when I practice or standing? I have an electric guitar and I ask because when I try to strum e major I find my self hitting the both e strings, could sitting be effecting my playing posture?

(@alangreen)

You should practise standing as much as sitting; you're unlikely to be sat on stage playing an electric, but your also unlikely to be standing if you're in the orchestra pit for a musical.

You're hitting E strings when you're playing E - I'm not sure that's a problem. However, if you're hitting more strings than you should be when you strum other chords then standing up is not going to fix a dodgy pick-hand technique.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@starrk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You should practise standing as much as sitting; you're unlikely to be sat on stage playing an electric, but your also unlikely to be standing if you're in the orchestra pit for a musical.

You're hitting E strings when you're playing E - I'm not sure that's a problem. However, if you're hitting more strings than you should be when you strum other chords then standing up is not going to fix a dodgy pick-hand technique.

Ah ic so how can I improve my picking hand technique? Strumming the same thing over and over?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

More or less. Watch your pick hand as you strum a simple chord sequence - it gets easier the more you do it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kjtheguitarist)

When you are a beginner, sitting is a better option. To find right posture.
And then, play standing occasionally. remember the posture and the feeling, do the same way when you play sitting.
Simple, right?

Click here to listen to my music

ReplyQuote
(@gilbertog)

Find the most comfortable posture and sit, if you are a beginner. When you develop yourself to a higher levels, you will know what will be the best for you better than anyone ;)

"What we call 'mastery' can be defined as that mysterious process through which what is at first difficult or even impossible becomes easy and pleasurable through diligent, patient, long-term practice.” ― George Leonard

ReplyQuote
(@factorx)
Eminent Member

When I played in my first band it was shocking how much transition was necessary for me to stand. I just spent so many hours practicing while sitting. Never even used a strap before that. Now I don't play without it. Sitting or not.

I would agree with Alan. You should practice both ways

ReplyQuote
(@ryuking)

When I played in my first band it was shocking how much transition was necessary for me to stand. I just spent so many hours practicing while sitting. Never even used a strap before that. Now I don't play without it. Sitting or not.

I would agree with Alan. You should practice both ways
I've never been able to play without a strap even if I'm sitting down. My main guitar is a V now though, so that might have something to do with it

Best Electric Guitars for Beginners

ReplyQuote
(@ryuking)

I do kind of have trouble playing standing up though. I'm a bedroom player and nothing more. :lol:

Best Electric Guitars for Beginners

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ya, as was said... there is a difference. I guess a lot depends on what you plan to do in the future. If your planning on being in a band, or playing out live, your probably going to want to get used to standing. If your a basement player and just do it for fun, sitting is fine. It really depends on what you want. Nether is right, or wrong. I still struggle with standing... but that's because ive never really worked at it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@mccoy2015)

Try adjusting the strap may be its too low when your standing up. if your a tall guy with long arms no prob coz you can position your hands properly... proper positioning of the guitar when standing up is the key...

ReplyQuote