Clear all

scales

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nichi_jin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey. There are different patterns to play scales that are in the same key up and down the entire fretboard. Does it matter which one i practice? I suppose I should practice them all so i can familiarize myself with the same notes but in different placements on the fretboard? What do you think?

Also, I want to play blues music eventually. Which scales should i be practicing?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

This:
practice them all so i can familiarize myself with the same notes but in different placements on the fretboard
is the answer.

For blues, pentatonic and blues scales (major and minor for both) would probably be good places to start.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1 on slej's answer.

For blues, you can either start just by learning the scales slej said for the keys of A, E, D, and G (and then add other scales in later). Or, you can learn one pattern at a time, and practice it in all 12 keys.

Both have their advantages - most blues tunes are in the keys I listed unless it happens to be recorded by SRV, Hendrix, or a few others. They detuned their guitars to Eb, so their keys would be Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb. But if you learn one pattern at a time and practice it in all twelve keys, naming the notes as you go, it will build a better knowledge of the fretboard over time than just naming the notes in those keys. It also means that you can play in any key, although at first you'll be limited to where on the FB you can play. The first method lets you play all over the FB more quickly, but limits which keys you can play in. So, it depends on whether you see yourself playing at home to backing trax, or jamming with horn players, or similar.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@connelly73)

Good answers but I looked into finding out all the scales and tabing them on my site. I found that there were hundreds. I started to look at what music I played and looked at the best scales for my sound. Then I learned one scale and tried to learn all the patterns in that scale.

I started with the major scale and the pentatonic maj and min scales. You start to see that the patterns can be moved to give you the scale in any key.

ReplyQuote
(@nichi_jin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. Great answers guys!

ReplyQuote