Clear all

right hand exercises

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@longman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've hurt my left hand index finger (trying to play 'Hendrix style', but i think that is a whole other topic...) and i need to rest it for a couple of days.

There is no way I can not pick up a guitar for a few days (I think I would go cold turkey), so does anyone have any right hand techniques i can practice? Or left hand techniques without using my index finger?

I'm pretty good at reading up on theory, but i really need to have the guitar in my hands at some point...

Thanks for any help...

(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Tune your guitar to a chord and pick up a slide that will fit your middle finger.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Depending on how bad and in what way you hurt your finger you might consider giving the guitar a miss for a day or two at least. You don't want to exacerbate the injury. During that time you could work on theory, ear training, voice, buy a harmonica, etc.

If you don't know barre chords you could work at learning the basics of those. When you play a barre chord you use your index finger as a barre up and down the neck but you use the rest of your fingers to make the chord shape. So, what about making the chord shapes in root position (at the nut) with all but your index finger? Get comfortable making those shapes and switching between them.

How about strumming and picking drills? Maybe finger picking drills?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@longman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replys.

Interesting idea about the slide. Which chord do you tune to? I guess E would be the obvious one...

And i injured it constantly trying to do the thumb over barre, and i think the sensible answer would be to rest it. I think i have already exacerbated the problem.

I think i will do the finger picking patterns and the ear training...

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Thanks for the replys.

Interesting idea about the slide. Which chord do you tune to? I guess E would be the obvious one...

Take a peek at this thread for some options that are used by some of the big names.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote