Clear all

practise

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@lotinelm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

what should i practise with four hours per day?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I never practice four hours at a time, but when I do practice it is with a guitar.
sorry. could not resist. :twisted:
my practice sessions now are for learning new songs. I play several instruments so learning is interesting.
sometimes I grab a uke and work out songs. then go to guitar and work out movable shapes, double stops, harmonic scales.

if you give us more information, such as, what type of guitar you have, what are some goals, how long you have been playing. details help.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yeah, I've never practiced four hours a day, either. Maybe on band practice nights, once in a while, but for the most part it's usually only a couple of hours at most. And, that couple of hours could be on guitar only, or guitar for a bit, then bass for a bit, or mandolin or dulicmer, whichever instrument strikes my fancy when it's time to practice. I try not to make any of my instruments feel like a "chore". I want to love it when I play it (whichever it might be). When it becomes work, it's time to put it away. IMHO! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

Four hours is alot of time to spend practicing guitar but if it's 4 solid hours of fun then go for it. I practice guitar/piano for about 2 hours a day but it often spills into 3 or 4 hours if I include writing lyric/poems, theory and other general music stuff i.e. recording. My suggestion would be to mix things around for instance one day work on a song you like and mabye learn a few new chords while the next day try writing your own song ect ect, it would stop things from becoming repeatative and boring.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

If you're a beginner you can start off with finger exercises and scales. They do take more time compared to say learning a simple song.My teacher assigns me finger exercises and asks me to practice over the entire fretboard or atleast till the 12th fret. And i typically tend to start at a slow speed and then move up so it takes a while before i'm through a particular exercise. When you are bored with finger exercises you can either learn a song or practice chords. You can also devote some time to learn some theory. I almost never find time to do do all these in a single practice session as i never get to spare more than an hour a day. I wish i had fours of practice time everyday :)

Good luck.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Start with reading music and playing it on guitar. Four hours won't be a long time then.

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member

i'm new to the guitar, some days i practice for 1/2 hour others a couple of hours, i would really struggle to practice for 4 hours a day with my other commitments, it'll take me as long as it take for me to get where i want to be regards playing, to be honest at this stage 4 hours a day would really be to much for me even if i did have the time, but thats just me.. 8)

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
(@lotinelm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i would be interested in jazzy, classical, a little bit of strumming and fingerstyle guitar. anywhere, i have uploaded a wma file so that someone can help me to identify my weaknesses. http://www.soundupload.com/audio/r183ymskiddqq9v thank you.

ReplyQuote