Clear all

Pickups

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, how much space should there be between the pickups and the stings. I have a Gibson sg faded special with dual humbuckers. I think they are alnico 490's. Anyways are these pickups any good. If not could anyone reccomend a nice pair. I like to play rock and blues, Thanx.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

"Good" is unbelievable subjective, the 490/496/498/500 series of pickups is well regarded amongst tone fiends, though most agree you can probably get something better if you get something custom.

I like them, and if you're thinking about tossing them, do yourself a favor and play some other SG's with different pickups first.

A lot of beginning tone tweakers find that what they want to change has more to do with the other parts of the guitar than the pickups, unfortunately, they usually learn that after they'll already put a few hundred dollars into it.

Just be careful, and be smart about it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Oh yeah, and I think Nils has a link in his sig with some handy setup links for your string height measurements. I'll see if I can find them.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think i will keep them, but do know how to make the guitar And/Or amp sound deeper.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote