Notifications
Clear all

Online Lessons?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dustin)
Topic starter  

Hey everybody! I'm brand new to this website and this is my very first post. I got my very first guitar as a Christmas present this year from my wife. I love it and am determined to learn to play it despite some very sore fingers! I am so glad that stumbled upon guitarnoise, I feel like I have found a support group to help me through these early, painfully difficult stages! Now to my question... The lessons on this site are great, but recently I saw some ads and some reviews for software based lessons. Today I was reading about Jamorama. It looked great from what I read but who knows. Does anyone have any experience with this program or any like it? Thanks!

I got my first real six string,
Bought it at the five and dime...
Played it til my fingers bled
OUCH! That's no joke!

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I don't know about what you mentioned but from experience, E-Media Guitar Method 1 CD software was very helpful to me when I first bought a guitar without having a clue to what I was doing.

I have had others in DVD form that did little to help move things along. I like them though, they are entertaining to me.

E-media is a great place to start. I think there is a review of that software on this site too if you care to do a search and read about it.

For everything else along the way, you have come to the right place. This is a great site and you will get plenty of help here.

Welcome. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

E-Media is a good starting point. I did that first time I pciked up a song I believe, well after trying and failing to play Wonderwall or something of the nature.

It's a good starting spot. Do the guitar method, learn a few songs from the Guitar Noise lessons, and start yourself up with some reel theory. The thing about doing a book or computer lesson is you'll learn a lot of practical things without much explanation as to why, let alone the theory behind it. But once you know the practical things the leap as to the stuff behind it comes easier.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

I had bought a subscription to one of these online tutorials a while ago. Since I was just starting out, the tutorial was helpful as it provided a starting point. However, in my opinion, face to face lessons are immensely helpful, especially in the beginning.

I am sure most of these software are quite good and have what you need to know in order to play better. However, I feel, one has to be very diciplined to sit in front of a tv or computer to learn something brand new. Also, software lessons cannot be tailored to suit your strengths, weaknesses and likings.

Since each of us learns things differently, take the advise with a grain of salt.

Either way, welcome to GN and enjoy the process!

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@dustin)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the avice guys. After reading your replies and some of the other posts here, I'll probably just stick with the couple of books I bought, the lessons on this site and I think I'll have to suck it down and find myself an instructor. I think I am seriously going to need the immediate feedback of another person! Thanks.

I got my first real six string,
Bought it at the five and dime...
Played it til my fingers bled
OUCH! That's no joke!

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I have bought quite a few on-line lessons - one promises to have you playing in 30 days, another says in a week you won't recognize yourself.

If you take all that with a pinch of salt, they all do provide some benefit. And some good examples.. Most are $30 or less, so not a huge outlay.

It's nice to support some of these sites, learning guitar is so much easier in terms of seeing what others are doing, sharing problems, than it was 40 years ago - I like to encourage on-line stuff (including - of course - Guitarnoise - one of the best)

ReplyQuote
(@grafphoto)
Eminent Member

I bought quite a few of the Riff Interactive CD's - highly recommended.

http://www.riffinteractive.com/

ReplyQuote
(@sasquatch)

I think when you're just starting out books with accompanying CD's, e-media, and some web sites like GN are all you need. Why shell out 20 dollars a lesson for someone to tell you how to make a G chord?

I would whole heartedly recommend a teacher after you advance past that initial beginner stage. A teacher is also a good idea when you get to certain plateaus, and want a boost. However, I really like the idea of videos and books with the cd's. The videos are like a teacher that never gets tired, and you can watch whenever you have the time.

The Riff Interactive stuff looks really amazing. I've cheked out the sample lessons, and I'm amazed at the quality of the instruction. I really want to get some of these CD's eventually.

My S&P guitar is Canadian.
My Strat is Mexican.
I'm somewhere in the Middle Kingdom.

ReplyQuote