Skip to content
OK, Is there really...

Notifications
Clear all

OK, Is there really a correct way to hold a pick???

20 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
16 K Views
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Alright, Ken!

I'm adding that one to my Friday Rotary lunch BJR ("bad joke repertoire")!!!

Cat

PS: The last BJR I heard was...

Iffa life giva you de-lemas...you can maka dilemanade! :lol:

(See??? BJR.)

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I've been wearing jeans for over thirty years. And I didn't know this:
Jeans have this little pocket . . . you know the one . . . that little pocket above the right pocket.
My brother told me what it was for.

It's for holding your guitar pick.

It's called a pickpocket.

KR2
:lol: :lol: :lol: One of your better ones.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Now I use those small Jazz III picks but I used normal size picks, specifically the Dunlop Tortex. I used to hold it in such a way I played with the "rounded sides". When I hold in the "normal" way, it is too long for me and I touch another strings with it. Furthermore, it sounds in a different way.

Once I was in a store and somebody told me that Pat Metheny also hold the pick in that way. I didn't try to emulate the Metheny, in fact I played in that way before I knew it. I guess you try several ways consciously or unconsciously and you finally get which is more comfortable for you and also sound better to your ears. It is part of your tone!

I tried this yesterday and found it works for me, much more control!
I've been wearing jeans for over thirty years. And I didn't know this:
Jeans have this little pocket . . . you know the one . . . that little pocket above the right pocket.
My brother told me what it was for.

It's for holding your guitar pick.

It's called a pickpocket.

KR2

I ask you, where else can you get great tips, advice and entertainment too! I bet you're much better on the guitar though... :lol:

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

We're all nuts on this site...especially me.

As for the pick...just don't gouge at the strings.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@blackegobox)

i think the way i hold the pick is weird... i hold it between my index and my thumb (nothing strange yet), but i don't block the pick on the first phalanx like most people do i think, but more on the knuckle between the first and the 2nd phalanx... i don't know if anyone knows what i'm talking about! :)
and i hold the pick at an angle when i strum chords, but when i pick notes, i hold it parallel to the strings. and the pick somewhat slip on the 1st phalanx of my index finger...
sounds familiar to any of you?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2