New Here!!

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Judo
(@judo)
Topic starter  

Greetings,
I recently purchased a Acoustic - Electric Guitar and started taking lessons last week. As of Sunday i noticed that my right hand starts cramping from holding the pick after approx 45 minutes. Do y'all think its a newbie thing? My Index and Ring finger tips are already sore but I knew it would be! Thanks in advance and Happy Labor Day!

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

With all things you experience for the first time, there's a very good chance it's a "newbie" thing.

However, without knowing much about your technique my first thought might be that you are clasping the pick too tightly for too long.

Definitely bring it up to your teacher to figure out a remedy.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Judo
(@judo)
Topic starter  

Thank You for taking time out to help out a new Guy!! Will Do!>;}

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Hi there and welcome!

It's like Bish said earlier, you're probably tensing up too much. As a rule of thumb you want every muscle relaxed, otherwise you won't keep up/get tired and you'll be playing slower. A correct sitting position will already do miracles, as a lot of people tense up their shoulder and even that affects your playing.

As for your pick: hold it as lightly as you can without dropping it. Playing like that will make your sound smoother and it's easier to play. When you want more power you just tighten your grip. Keep your wrist relaxed while playing: when I'm playing chords my wrist seems a ragdoll hanging on to my forearm. When I'm playing lead guitar, I make very small wrist movements for both accuracy and speed, relaxing your wrist is very important to gain speed (should you ever need it).

Playing for 45 minutes shouldn't be an issue. I could play (very, very badly) for hours when I started :D . Your fingertips will quite often be sore as a beginner. When it starts hurting it's a good idea to let it recover. When it starts bleeding, it's really, really bad to persist (I didn't get the hint myself).

Some of the local residents can probably help you along way better than I ever could though, so maybe they have something to share I completely forgot!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've been playing for quite some time, so it is rare, but when I do come across a chord I don't know and have to learn, I find I still tense up and over grip with my fretting hand. I'm sure the newness is the issue. As you get comfortable and relax you will play longer without fatigue.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Judo
(@judo)
Topic starter  

Thank You Lion Table and TR Guitar!!
Yepper, I've been tensing up and not relaxing! Been trying to play a tab for now using the Metronome at every other beat and at the same time trying to position my fingers on the frets correctly,LOL!! So much to grasp!! But I'm getting there!!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thank You Lion Table and TR Guitar!!
Yepper, I've been tensing up and not relaxing! Been trying to play a tab for now using the Metronome at every other beat and at the same time trying to position my fingers on the frets correctly,LOL!! So much to grasp!! But I'm getting there!!
Sounds like you are on the right track. Learning guitar is not a goal, it's a journey that never ends. Enjoy the ride as long as you can.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

there's a tacky resin product called "gorilla snot" that's good for keeping a grip on your picks. that can keep you from using too much pressure on the pick until your hands gain enough strength for longer practice sessions. also, there are picks with different grips and surfaces. you can also scour up a regular slippery nylon pick to give it a little more grip.

ReplyQuote